Flex for cookers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemist

Reaction score
I have a cooker supplied to the outlet on 6mm T+E on a 32A MCB.

What flex should I use to connect the cooker to the outlet? I was thinking of heatproof flex but can only get up to 2.5mm which only handles 25A. I don't want to have to fuse it down from the cooker control, would you just use 6mm T+E from the outlet to the cooker - it's not heatproof?

Thanks

what kw is the cooker and what do the instructions say, you can get 4mm flex 85 degrees

The owner doesn't have any instructions and there's nothing on the cooker itself. It has a 2kw oven element and two smaller grill elements.

I'm guessing it's probably under 4kw total, so I know 32A is more than needed, but given that it's all being chased into the walls we decided to put 6mm in in case he gets a bigger cooker. I suppose I can use the 6mm cable and just put it on a 20A MCB for now. It'll cover the cooker, and i';ll tell him to make sure he gets new flex if he upgrades the cooker.

I'm assuming 4KW for the cooker, which is 17.39A so with diversity 10A + 2.46A + 5A (for socket on the control). = 17.46A

prob is labled with make serial number and kw, prob inside on the the door frame.

so is it a single oven? most likely to be 3kw max

Yeah single oven with grill. It's second hand but the guy bought a new element so knows that is 2KW. We're guessing on the grill elements but I suspect it would have come with a plug top originally which would make it 13A or under. I'll use the flex i've got and just go with a 20A MCB.

or swap the outlet plate for an fcu, would not be to keen if it was behined the oven though bit of a tw*t to change the fuse. but then if its does end up blowing fuses then its prob knacked so would have to come out anyway.

not sure on that one, have seen a few ovens and cooker huds plugged in behind with the only way of getting to it is by unscrewing and removing the appliance. not something i would design by choice. what do others think?

Since a cooker is moved very infrequently I have seen a lot wired in 6mm T&E, ours is.

Not saying its right, but I doesn't get that hot behind my cooker.

alchemist, 4mm and 6mm HO7 will be available from a decent wholesaler.

the ones i have fitted ask for,

twin and earth or flex

flex is usualy 2.5mm max

twin is 2.5 or 6mm sometimes say 6mm or 10 mm max.

i just put in the corect size for the cable they stipulate, sometimes the size is stipulated also,

all the cable is readly avalible by the meter if need be

To be perfectly honest, my recollections of cooker connections in the UK, was always 6mm T&E or before that 7/044. Never heard of any heating/burning problems either.

In this case though, it certainly sounds like this oven was originally supplied with a 3c 1.5mm flexible and a plug top. The chances are that you can only have one of the cooking elements operating at any one time.

If the back it getting so hot the cable is melting (not though excessive load) then having it enclosed will most likely be a major fire hazard.

Most instructions I have seen for ovens that do not have a flex already ask for minimum 6mm t&e.

For information........Anyone viewing this thread shoud take a lok at this one as well....... Thread Title : 2.25 KW cookers and above

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:18 ----------

Oops..... sorry about the typo above......

Just out of interest .... I once got into a dispute with a well known manufacturer over what cable size to connect their appliance with. The Manufacturers instructions said 6mm, When BEAB got involved they said that (in that instance and not withstanding all that has been said on this thread) the cable size was specified because of the terminals fitted to the oven (ie designed to receive 6mm cable), not because the appliance drew sufficient current to require that cable size .