flickering led battens

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkweather

Reaction score
hi everyone this is my first post
i installed led battens in a small seamstress room for a customer about 18 months ago ,the lights are on there very own circuit fed from split rcd board [just 2 lights and a switch nothing else]when i say installed i didnt wire the circuit only changed out the old fluorescent fittings .there 43 watt battens.the lights are fine until computer and printer are switched on then the lights give out the slightest flicker every 50 seconds ,any where else it wouldnt be a problem but because she is working with precise tools etc its driving her nuts.phoned manufacturer who asked for light code /serial number and he has emailed back saying they were a batch of faulty drivers and is sending out new fittings.my fear is this wont make any difference as i believe it to be some sort of interference with IT equipment .she has only started using room lately so its probably been an issue from day 1.its not a loose wiring connection [on twin and earths and exterior driver connections] and the lighting circuit is sound .i have no idea how cables are run for the sockets and lights. has anybody had this issue before .the make of the battens is integral led lightspan .
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Have you looked at the CU for loose connections.

50 seconds is probably a clue too at something else being the issue

Or just change one of the units - how long is the warranty on it?

I would try to identify the source first.
Plug the IT gear into a different circuit, ( perhaps temporarily with an extension lead )
Try computer and printer separately, to see if either or just combination is responsible.
Try feeding their power via a filter.

Sounds like naff drivers picking up earth leakage from the IT gear to me. Hopefully the improved drivers should solve the issue, might also be worth pat testing the IT gear, or checking earth leakage with a suitable amp clamp.

It sounds like your LED lights flicker when the computer and printer are on. Replacing the fittings might help if it's a driver issue as the manufacturer suggested. If the problem persists, it could be interference from the IT equipment.

hi everyone this is my first post
i installed led battens in a small seamstress room for a customer about 18 months ago ,the lights are on there very own circuit fed from split rcd board [just 2 lights and a switch nothing else]when i say installed i didnt wire the circuit only changed out the old fluorescent fittings .there 43 watt battens.the lights are fine until computer and printer are switched on then the lights give out the slightest flicker every 50 seconds ,any where else it wouldnt be a problem but because she is working with precise tools etc its driving her nuts.phoned manufacturer who asked for light code /serial number and he has emailed back saying they were a batch of faulty drivers and is sending out new fittings.my fear is this wont make any difference as i believe it to be some sort of interference with IT equipment .she has only started using room lately so its probably been an issue from day 1.its not a loose wiring connection [on twin and earths and exterior driver connections] and the lighting circuit is sound .i have no idea how cables are run for the sockets and lights. has anybody had this issue before .the make of the battens is integral led lightspan .
any help would be appreciated
thanks

I cannot offer any answer to your problem..

But if you had just converted the existing fittings, (i.e. bypass starter, choke etc..) so they can be used with an LED tube, with its own internal driver circuit electronics..
Then it would have been very easy to just swap out for a different manufactures LED tube.

Which may have resolved your symptoms more easily if it is a manufactures incompatibility problem with the customers IT kit.

This problem is an example of one of the reasons why I personally, (wherever possible), avoid supplying any LED fittings without a removable lamps.

Maybe a daft suggestion, but have you tried a temporary connection with a simple lamp holder, off the batten wiring with a basic 'BC' or 'ES' LED lamp, to see if a traditional GLS style lamp also offers the same flickering symptoms...??

i.e. if a traditional lamp does NOT flicker that would suggest the supply wiring is not introducing any cause to the symptoms.?

and/or could you make a temporary connection to your "suspect" fittings, but supply them from a 'long-lead' via a plug-top plugged from a different circuit?

Just trying to think of ways you could isolate or identify if The light fittings / The wiring / The circuit are a possible cause?

What happens if a basic LED table-lamp is plugged in, in the same room?

Latest posts