Fuse for Contactor Coil

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elekk

Reaction score
Can a BS88-A1 2A fuse be used for the control circuit (Coil) of motor-contactor?

If the short circuit current is 15kA, can a 1.5mm2 cable be used downstream of the BS88-A1 2A fuse?

Yes BS7671 applies. Table 53.1 of BS7671 tells wire sizes to be used inside semi-enclosed fuses. Is there some regulation of BS7671 that shows how much current will a cartridge type fuse limit, and what size cable can be used downstream of different fuses?

Elekk,

7671 applies to the fixed wiring in premises, it does not apply to control circuits of machinery is where I am going.

Is this for a machine contactor coil or other control system where 7671 may not apply?

I am away form home at the mo but IIRC one of the other guys has just recently posted interrupt current levels for rewirables.

There is a correction factor but I can't remember what it is in exact numbers now!

Sidewander, this is for a machine contactor coil. Do you remember the title of the other post that mentions the interrupt current levels of fuses?

Elekk,

Sorry no I don't remember the post.

HOWEVER, SORRY, BUT 7671 DOES NOT APPLY TO MACHINE CONTROL SYSTEMS. END OF STORY.

You must work to machinery standards, you are looking at the LVD, the MD & EN 954 (Canoe hold your horses), BS EN 60204-1 (latest) & a raft of other standards and guidance.

7671 does not cover the depth and breadth. It also bows out in Sect 1 to 60204.

You cannot legally apply 7671 principles to machinery and I MEAN LEGALLY.

Sorry bud but that is the way it is.

That was the reason for my question in the first place.

So sorry but your earlier reply to me was just plain wrong.

Latest posts