Fused light switch new wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK TENNANT

Reaction score
Hi - I am hoping this is an easy one! I have a new fused light switch but I'm struggling with wiring it based on the previous switch. (We only need a one way switch). I've put the new switch instructions in the attached diagram along with the current set up. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
The yellow and blue wires look to be your lights / load and the red wire is the feed

if you have a new switch fuse then

I think you have the wrong switch ,
you just need a one way switch plate
thanks - I agree, I think the old one is a 2-way (not sure why as there are no other switches in the room). The new one I think is the correct switch, I just need to know which wires go where

no the new one is a fused connection unit [ this can be used as a switch for lights ] yes the old one is a 2 way 2 gang switch plate, and if you want to change this too a one way, one gang switch plate the the connections will have the same markings (L1 L2 C)

It does look like you have a "grid switch"
A 2 gang grid switch can be made up to however you want it to be.
e.g. Switch and a neon indicator, switch and a dimmer switch etc

The left part of your existing switch is a 2 way switch
The right part of your existing switch is a Double Pole switch
Most switches are single pole

Perhaps you could post an actual picture of your existing switch (Front and back)

Your "new switch" is too big to fit where ONE switch is now, (and it is also a fused connection unit, not just a switch)

Why do you want to change it

It does look like you have a "grid switch"
A 2 gang grid switch can be made up to however you want it to be.
e.g. Switch and a neon indicator, switch and a dimmer switch etc

The left part of your existing switch is a 2 way switch
The right part of your existing switch is a Double Pole switch
Most switches are single pole

Perhaps you could post an actual picture of your existing switch (Front and back)

Your "new switch" is too big to fit where ONE switch is now, (and it is also a fused connection unit, not just a switch)

Why do you want to change it
I think we may have incorrectly assumed the old switch was a fused unit based. If there's anyway to wire the new one in that would be great. The only change was aesthetics - my wife wanted rid of the old white unit and replaced with a matt black one! I've attached front and back pictures of both units. Thanks!

Attachments

• Wiring2.jpg
    Wiring2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes, that is a grid switch.

I can't help but wonder why you have that configuration.
As you look at the front picture the switch on the left, what does it operate? You must also have fk.jpg
One of these to operate it (It is commonly known as a Fish Key)

The "good news" is that as it is a grid switch, you can change the parts to what swmbo requires

gs.jpg

Above is an example of a matt black grid switch

You should buy a replacement switch that is suitably rated for what it is going to switch. Only a guess, but do both switches operate "normal lights" (I still wonder about the left switch, haven't got an emergency light have you?)

There are multiple grid switches available, the ones pictured came from TLC

Yes, that is a grid switch.

I can't help but wonder why you have that configuration.
As you look at the front picture the switch on the left, what does it operate? You must also have View attachment 15157
One of these to operate it (It is commonly known as a Fish Key)

The "good news" is that as it is a grid switch, you can change the parts to what swmbo requires

View attachment 15158

Above is an example of a matt black grid switch

You should buy a replacement switch that is suitably rated for what it is going to switch. Only a guess, but do both switches operate "normal lights" (I still wonder about the left switch, haven't got an emergency light have you?)

There are multiple grid switches available, the ones pictured came from TLC
Ah that would explain it. We assumed it was a fuse! It was installed before we came to the house (over 15y), and you are correct there is an emergency light in the room as well as the light switches. Thanks a lot for your help - really appreciate it

You have an emergency light in your house?
What type of house is it.

I have emergency lighting at my main consumer unit and the one in the garage.
They are so hsndy, especially now that I am ill.
They mean that my wife is able to see the boards in the dark when they are tripped.
Obviously not that they trip often, but we had a faulty cooker oven element a while ago,
The em bulkhead esd a great help then for her to see what was going on.
So em lighting in a normal domestic is quite useful IMHO.
Sorry for the minor highjacking.

I have emergency lighting at my main consumer unit and the one in the garage.
They are so hsndy, especially now that I am ill.
They mean that my wife is able to see the boards in the dark when they are tripped.
Obviously not that they trip often, but we had a faulty cooker oven element a while ago,
The em bulkhead esd a great help then for her to see what was going on.
So em lighting in a normal domestic is quite useful IMHO.
Sorry for the minor highjacking.
Hi sidewinder. I have always put an emergency light by the consumer unit. It’s such an obvious place to put one. Takes the stress off situations when power cuts occur Or there is an outage and gives additional light in a place which is usually in a dimly lit area

Last edited:
I found the emergency light over my CU in France was extremely helpful, the main EDF cut out is designed to trip if the consumer tries to draw more power than they pay for, the Kw rating is variable, on first buying the property we had a power out and when my OH eventually found a torch and turned it on I was found grouping around in the fireplace next too the CU.

THUMB_IMGP6576_1024.jpeg