Fused Spur Issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently installing a fused spur into the big cupboard I have. The wiring and trunking are complete, the fused spur is wired in and working.
The issue comes when I wire in the sockets.

So I bought some new double sockets from Homebase, I connected the wires to the plug, tested it and only the left socket worked.

I thought "probably a faulty plug", so I wired in a temporary socket (one which I removed from the bedroom a while ago) and that worked fine.

Today I've returned the socket to homebase, come back with an exchange of the same socket type, wired it in anddd.....now the right socket doesn't work.

First I wondered if it was because I had only run a single wire in the sput, but some further research quickly confirmed that this is pretty standard.

Could anyone enlighten me as to why this may not be working?

If it is relevant, the wiring I have used is the same size as what runs in my walls, 2.5mm twin and earth wires.

Thanks in advance.

- John

Can you re phrase the question, I don't understand it.

You start by talking about "fused spur issues" then go on to talking about "connecting wires to a plug", and then you talk about only one half of a double socket working.

I guess the latter is your real question. Sounds like cheap rubbish sockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, I have worded it incorrectly.

Basically I needed a double socket in my cupboard, so I took a 2.5mm twin wire + earth from the double socket in the bedroom, through the wall, into a fused spur and finally into a double socket.

The latter was indeed my question, however I thought it better to give details, as I am no expert and really have no idea where the problem could be.

I opened all of the sockets and the connections are fine. You are correct about them being cheap, in the sense that they didn't cost a-lot. I don't think I'll bother exchanging it a second time, I shall just go and buy a better brand double socket.

Obviously I was just curious as to how this could happen, as both sockets share the same supply therefore if one works, they both should, right?

Cheers

mostly they are re bagged brands so it's probaby a CED or something ****e like the sockets that toolstation sell for a pound.

I don't no why but I'm finding BG to be getting  better & better except their boards I don't get on with those.

:)

I am surprisingly impressed with Screwfix's LAP accessories, very good  unlike the other cheaper stuff they have
Not many people say that. I had a devil of a job with some iof their flat plate light switches once, the shape of the terminal boxes meant they didn't grip 1mm cable at all well.

Mind I also had trouble once getting three 2.5mm cables to stay put in an MK single socket, only "solved" when I changed it for a cheap make I had with me.

Well on friday i am going to one of my major clients to replace 4 sockets in the newly refurbed kitchen. Large office block with a small kitchen on each of the three floors. They want SS sockets.......minor issue is that the socket ring is wired in 6mm singles in conduit/trunking and a couple of the sockets also have a 2.5 spur off them. Friday is going to be a challenging day, not counting the 100 mile round trip

:pray :pray

what make socket is it?.. also if you spurred off the ring to just one socket then the fused spur wasn't needed.. did you do a minor works certificate?

Well on friday i am going to one of my major clients to replace 4 sockets in the newly refurbed kitchen. Large office block with a small kitchen on each of the three floors. They want SS sockets.......minor issue is that the socket ring is wired in 6mm singles in conduit/trunking and a couple of the sockets also have a 2.5 spur off them. Friday is going to be a challenging day, not counting the 100 mile round trip

:pray :pray
just snip some cores off lol