Gas Explosion..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the council were working on the gas cookers the day before. Must have been leaking all night then in morning boom. Hope they all get better soon. Was anyone killed?

Apparently the council were working on the gas cookers the day before. Must have been leaking all night then in morning boom. Hope they all get better soon. Was anyone killed?
I heard the worst injuries were to a lady in her 80's, 30% burns I think they said, critical but stable was the description. No fatalities at this stage though.

Doc H.

twas a biggie,

total gridlock, I think local radio said about 200 people with no roof for tonight.

NO fatalities that I have heard of, but, one elderly lady with 1st degrees burns.

and yes, they had been working at the gas yesterday.

bit like the one in wigan a while back(a year ago was it?), where they had been working at the gas and then BANG, block of flats went.!!!!

I was told once by a techie who worked for Britsh Gas, that there's a very narrow window where ignition can happen in a confined space, as I recall it was something like more than 4% gas by volume but less than 6%, but not something I'd put the test

I was told once by a techie who worked for Britsh Gas, that there's a very narrow window where ignition can happen in a confined space, as I recall it was something like more than 4% gas by volume but less than 6%, but not something I'd put the test
correct (not sure of the exact percentage, but 5% is about right)

any less or too much and it may burn, but not explode

been working 2 miles away went to a job where they were doing kitchen and bathroom upgrade and saw the electrics as i went to wire up new central heating and the workmanship was shocking eg 10mm shower cable going up thro old cylinder cupboard not so much as a clip never mind trunking same with water heater cable and combi boiler fed off 2 breakers LNE off 1 LNE to timer off another with switch live running to boiler and that was just what i noticed all circuits had been tested day before i got there apparently ..........same as i have always said this trade full of cowboys and who ever has done it probably has every cert going

Hi Justin

Very interesting comment but you seem to be a bit off subject? :|

been working 2 miles away went to a job where they were doing kitchen and bathroom upgrade and saw the electrics as i went to wire up new central heating and the workmanship was shocking eg 10mm shower cable going up thro old cylinder cupboard not so much as a clip never mind trunking same with water heater cable and combi boiler fed off 2 breakers LNE off 1 LNE to timer off another with switch live running to boiler and that was just what i noticed all circuits had been tested day before i got there apparently ..........same as i have always said this trade full of cowboys and who ever has done it probably has every cert going
where were you at justin.?

I do a lot of stuff round abouts there,

was there a G/Y used as a switch, mighta been mine.

I heard they think it was the elderly lady lighting her gas cooker that sparked the explosion. Which is why she has such bad burns. I can only echo the OP's thoughts and hope for a full recovery for all injured parties.

Doc H.

Ok im not saying this isnt bad, but now they claim 200 properties are affected, how?
they had to evacuate the surrounding area until they made it safe,

Im sure it was something like 200 people affected.

all seems OK now though, they have been letting people back to their houses again.

havent heard anything more about the elderly lady yet though.