Going a bit mad here.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisIV

Reaction score
Here's a really stupid question.

What symbol would you use for a socket outlet in a circuit diagram?

In wiring diagrams a socket outlet is drawn fairly realistically; the conductors are shown connecting to the little rectangles representing the socket holes. Fine.

In layout diagrams sockets are shown with the BS 60617 location symbols. No problem.

But a circuit diagram has basic symbols to show capacitors, variable resistors, fuses, single-pole and double-pole switches etc., etc. What's the equivalent symbol for a socket outlet?

Thanks in advance for help!

LIV

I ask this because myself and a couple of classmates are all stuck on this. We have an assignment which requires that we draw a wiring diagram that includes a lighting circuit and a radial socket outlet circuit with a spur.

Then we have to draw the same thing as a circuit diagram. The little pictures of sockets just look wrong, but I can't find the appropriate symbol to replace them with.

Hi I think the back cover of the on site guide has the symbols you need

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Those are the BS 60617 layout symbols which our tutor said we shouldn't use for circuit diagrams. I notice that there are many more symbols in BS 60617 than in the back of the On-Site Guide, but the only one I can find for a socket outlet is the layout symbol (the upside down wine-glass without a base).

That is the symbol I have seen on wiring diagrams for industrial equipment for many years.

The main difference being that for multiway plugs each pin is represented by the "wine glass" and they are otherwise grouped into a socket by an enclosure line.

Male pins were just signified by what is effectively a thick line.

Paul

Edit spelling!

Usually my students draw the socket as you described for wiring diagrams Louis, we accept that.

I was looking at them, Yesterday. I will have a look through my "History" and get back to you.

Also, Have you seen what Brian has said, Above? ^^^

OK Brian - that's good to know.

Paul - your link take me to a Media Directory Index with a list of catagories. Do you mean that?

LIV

They are also in a booked called Electrical Installation Calculations (level 2) if you have that book mate other than that id go with the OSG ones

Louis,

Yes if you open the 2nd book down the English version then look at the pg. references I give.

Paul

Hi Paul

Still no joy I'm afraid - the link returns '403 Forbidden'. But don't worry. I've drawn little pictures of sockets as per Brian's advice, and the lecturers are OK with that.

I'm pleased with how my diagrams turned out, they look clear and neat - let's hope my final work looks as good!

LIV

Hi PaulStill no joy I'm afraid - the link returns '403 Forbidden'. But don't worry. I've drawn little pictures of sockets as per Brian's advice, and the lecturers are OK with that.

I'm pleased with how my diagrams turned out, they look clear and neat - let's hope my final work looks as good!

LIV
Show us then!

Show us then!
I think when I've finished the assignment, I may be able to hang on to the paperwork - but at the moment, I have to hand it all in so I can't do any work on it away from college, etc.

Latest posts