Going Back To An Electrician, Help With Legal Side?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-matt

Reaction score
Hi guys, just after a bit of advice really.

i did a 2 year city and guilds course for electrical installation, think it was about 4 years ago.

Ive kind of been in and out of things a bit since, IE I've done odd jobs for friends, the odd week with an electrician etc, but kind of never really properly worked for someone.

Im very confident with what I'm doing etc in domestic situations, i.e. i know what I'm doing.

So im wanting to get back into it, and start my own company up, rather than working for someone.

Now I've done a good bit of research, and I'm getting a bit confused regarding what i need to be part of to do basic domestic jobs. for the testing side of things.

i know that any job that involves more than just maintenance requires either a minor works certificate, or a Normal test certificate.

So what do i need to be a part of to do testing my own work?   

I would also like to get into PAT testing, is it just a 2 day course i need to do? 

Anyone who can shed some light onto this, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Legally to do domestic electrical work as a self employed person...

All you need to do is tell HMRC that you are commencing self employment..

so they can start sending you self assessment bumff to get the TAX off your earnings....

From your previous courses you may recall BS7671 is a NON STATUTORY document..

and DIY'ers can legally do their own electrical alterations....

If you want to be a member of one of the electrical "Clubs" you will need to meet their entry requirements and pay them some money...

If you want to do some work that is Part P notifiable..

you will either have to arrange to pay the LABC a fee to inspect for you...

Or join a club and self certify!

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont get registered with one of the part p schemes as they will check that all of your paperwork is in order, then dont forget to organise your public liability insurance.

Hi guys, i did start a similar thread yesterday, but can't reply, so started another with a more direct question.

Basically i passed city/guilds level2/3 about 4 years ago roughly (can't find the certificates!)  I've been in and out of the industry a bit since, but now want to start up a company.

Ive done a lot of research and getting a bit confused.

im guessing i will need to do a 17th edition course?

I've come across a course called city/guilds 2393  Part P ,  do i need to do this?

i know there are several "bodies" that offer the part P self certification, but I've had a look at a few, but the info seems more at companies already trading and putting employees through.

So is there a way i would be able to join, without 12+ months of trading on un certifiable jobs?

Cheers for any advice

Matt

Best course of action is to phone one of the scams and speak to them

they will tell you what you need to have

phone Niceic , Elecsa  and Napit to get a balanced view

+1 as Theory says, ring the contractor bodies your are interested in. Duplicate threads merged.

Doc H.