Ground loop interference with laptop and external monitor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think i'm going to have to reccomend to the management we provide universal Adaptors to those out in the field already. Any further sales of this product should halt immediatley.

nope, used UPS and still same issue, although UPS is not a particularly great one to be fair
What's it like if you run the monitor on it's own through the UPS?

Didnt try that, wont be able to today i dont think.

It is one irritating problem this, with no easy solution.

Toshiba incidentally provide a 2pin AC Adaptor, as well as a 3pin, so I have ordered one to see if this helps.

The thinking is that if it is a Toshiba proved part then will be safe to use and I can give them to the customers with the problem.

Toshiba incidentally provide a 2pin AC Adaptor, as well as a 3pin, so I have ordered one to see if this helps.The thinking is that if it is a Toshiba proved part then will be safe to use and I can give them to the customers with the problem.
2 pin equals 3 pin without earth - looks like we've got ourselves into a loop as well... O)

I've had the same problem since adding an LG LCD monitor to my HP laptop so don't think it's make/model specific. Have been searching for "VGA isolator" on the web all morning but no luck so far.

Also tried making an isolator from 15 M-F plug/socket and leaving the shells isolated but no effect - it's not that simple!

Some useful reading here.

I have been away and missed the threads to this- I suggested a galvanic isolator because the problem of ground loop interference is caused by mains frequency induction (causes the buzzing in the speakers and lines etc on the monitors) - Removing the earth does work this is very iffy - but not as iffy as fitting a a GI (galvanic isolator) (which is contrary to BS7671 ) , GI's are used on ships as they remove the link to earth but restore it under fault conditions. We had a similiar problem connecting a touch screen jukebox to a 8 channel amp the amp suffered from ground loop frequency buzzing- we solved the problem by using an optical link between the Juky and the amp

Latest posts