Growatt SPA3000 - charge EV and battery at same time?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatteryBill

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can answer this little puzzle for me?

I've got the Growatt SPA3000 inverter with Growatt battery, I've recently added a EV charger to my setup..

Question is:

Can I charge my EV during my off peak tariff from the grid AND force charge my battery at the same time? (also from the grid)
I get a cheaper tariff after midnight and want to take advantage.

I've experimented with the settings, but seems to be charging the battery rather than the EV - any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks everyone :)

Maybe give some more details on how it is all setup? may help with identifying the issue.
First thing that would spring to my mind is a conflict with the CT clamps and device settings. By that I mean maybe the charger is load limited to say 16A and when the battery is charging there is more than the 16A flowing so charger thinks it can't do more. Just a rough idea of principle, hope it makes sense.

What EV charger have you got and how is it setup?

I've got the Growatt SPA3000 inverter with Growatt battery, I've recently added a EV charger to my setup..

Question is:

Can I charge my EV during my off peak tariff from the grid AND force charge my battery at the same time? (also from the grid)

I've experimented with the settings, but seems to be charging the battery rather than the EV - any ideas where I'm going wrong?

What's the ev connected to?

Question is:

I'm not sure about the SPA series inverters, the SPH series have a timer inside them that can be set to charge the battery in a set time period, mine is set from 00:30 to 04:30 for Octupus GO. So the inverter and battery are independent of the EV.
The EV charger should be set to charge between x hours pretty much the same, when the set time arrives all of the charging will commence.
The only thing I can think of that may cause issues is if the EV charger has been set for a low rated mains supply and it has a CT monitoring the grid, if the battery is charging the EV cant due to lack of capacity.

What make of charger do you have?

I'm not sure about the SPA series inverters, the SPH series have a timer inside them that can be set to charge the battery in a set time period, mine is set from 00:30 to 04:30 for Octupus GO. So the inverter and battery are independent of the EV.
The EV charger should be set to charge between x hours pretty much the same, when the set time arrives all of the charging will commence.
The only thing I can think of that may cause issues is if the EV charger has been set for a low rated mains supply and it has a CT monitoring the grid, if the battery is charging the EV cant due to lack of capacity.

What make of charger do you have?
Thanks everyone, my tech knowledge isn't great unfortunately...
The EV Charger is a Pod Point
Currently the battery is force charging at 00:30-4:30am (think this is a standard Octopus time?)

So far only the battery charges from the grid at this time - the EV charger doesn't (which is also set for the same time).
Hope this adds some context?

Thanks everyone, my tech knowledge isn't great unfortunately...
The EV Charger is a Pod Point
Currently the battery is force charging at 00:30-4:30am (think this is a standard Octopus time?)

So far only the battery charges from the grid at this time - the EV charger doesn't (which is also set for the same time).
Hope this adds some context?
Podpoint dont have the best of reputations!

Do you have a conflicting charging schedule setup on your EV? Does the podpoint charge the car ok without timers set? Is the time set correctly on the Podpoint?

Podpoint dont have the best of reputations!

Do you have a conflicting charging schedule setup on your EV? Does the podpoint charge the car ok without timers set? Is the time set correctly on the Podpoint?
Hi John,
The charging schedule on the EV is the same as the battery - was hoping could charge both during the 4hrs cheap tariff slot.
Times are correct on all devices.
And yes, if I disable the battery charging element at night - the ev charges perfectly fine (did a test turning off the battery charge)

Hi John,
The charging schedule on the EV is the same as the battery - was hoping could charge both during the 4hrs cheap tariff slot.
Times are correct on all devices.
And yes, if I disable the battery charging element at night - the ev charges perfectly fine (did a test turning off the battery charge)
Is it a Podpoint Solo charger? They have switches inside to stop the EV charge if the incoling supply exceed 'x' amps, it sounds to me like this may be your issue. Have a look:-

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/podpoint-website/PP-D-210079-2-Solo-3-Home-Install-Guide.pdf

Hi, thank you for the help - was spot on!
Battery/inverter settings were fine, it was the Pod Point EV charger.

Spoke to Pod Point, they sent a remote update to the system which solved the problem!

Thank you so much đź‘Ť

Latest posts