hall light fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went to look at a job last night, quoting for a kitchen refurb, quick look at cu and bonding first and noticed no rcd(old wylex) main water bond is in 10mm at new combi as all waterpipes in kitchen/bathroom has been replaced in plastic, main gas bond disconnected from earth clamp next to cu, looked as though it had come loose, so i thought id reconnect, on touching earth tag, hall light comes on, albeit not full brightness! doesnt work from switch at all? :|

off on off on.... lady in house see's light and chuckles and tells me its always been like that?!?! ?:|

i've priced job and looks like i may get it but i've also said the light has be resolved too at an unkown cost,

i'm kinda looking forward to finding problem

anyone any thoughts on this???

Ooooh, Betty! :eek:

The hall light won`t work from the switch - at all? ever? But comes on partial brightness when gas bond connected?

What`s the earthing system?

I`m wondering if the neutral to the light is discontinuous, and maybe came out of its terminal in a jb? touching an unsleeved earth. If its TT, maybe not enough Ra to illuminate lamp; but gas is still copper - water alcathene?????

Is about all I can get, unless the gas pipe is carrying some phase current??????? :eek: :O:O:O:O

Do keep us informed, mate? :|

Betty, you may want to be careful what you touch on that job until you have sussed that one out, can't imagine what it is without being there. Polarity wrong ?? Neutral bar connected to earth ??? light switch dosn't work.... I give up.. let us know what it was.

Deke