Harmonics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve100

Reaction score
We had the following question for homework the other day and I think the answer is 'C' (reg 523.6.3) but my mate thinks its 'A', does anybody k ow the correct answer?

In a TP & N installation servicing an office with IT equipment and a high harmonic disturbance. How would the harmonic influence be combated?

A. Surge protection

B. Insulation of live parts

C. Increase the size of the neutral

D. Install an RCD

Thx

wells its deffo not A  ;)

why do you think increasing the N size will change anything?

as you may already have noticed, no-one here will give you answers to homework Qs, merely try and point you.

As with Steps, I won't give you and answer, but will suggest eradicating what are the wrong answers. For instance surge protection is designed to protect agaianst surges from the national gird / lighting, so defo isn't going to improve a situation within a building as desribed.

feel free to post your thoughts and logical reasonings on here (don't necessarrily expect a logical reply :^O ) and we will do our best to guide you through the problem. That way you will learn something

Well it was more that I disagreed with my mate when we where discussing the question. In addission the lecture said the correct answer was 'A'. My logic for 'C' was that 'A' protects against surge voltages, an RCD protects against shock by detecting inbalance in the line and neutral and insulation of live part is basic protection. Also according to reg 523.6.3 increasing the neutral CSA will help reduce the effects of harmonics.

Ask your lecturer to contact us through here and we will explain the errors of his teaching methods with regulations and fundamental science! ;)

Ask your lecturer to contact us through here and we will explain the errors of his teaching methods with regulations and fundamental science! ;)
I agree, the question here is down to the third harmonic, which can be combatted with the increase in the neutral conductor to take the excess loads. I fail to understand why any lecturer would not understand the basics? Is there now a fast track course for them as well?

Stick with http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=619&tbm=isch&tbnid=1a7TWPYQ8MoBLM:&imgrefurl=http://www.musicwithease.com/harmonica-pictures.html&docid=pe3YYAla1m2juM&imgurl=http://www.musicwithease.com/harmonica-1.gif&w=528&h=318&ei=2CG7UPfrDIzP0AW41oHIDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=607&vpy=171&dur=164&hovh=174&hovw=289&tx=186&ty=64&sig=114426966925507941213&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=224&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:159'> this

For many years, it has been a common feature of C&G sample papers, used by colleges for setting homework, to have one or two incorrectly written, or incorrectly answered questions. I suspect your lecturer has a printed sheet with the questions and another one with a list of answers. But unfortunately maybe they do not have a clue how to explain, verify or confirm how any of the answers are attained. Just blindly reading question 5 is A, question 6 is D etc.

Doc H.

I agree, the question here is down to the third harmonic, which can be combatted with the increase in the neutral conductor to take the excess loads. I fail to understand why any lecturer would not understand the basics? Is there now a fast track course for them as well?
is combatted the correct term, you havnt combatted it have you? you have increased a conductor size to handle the effects of it.  combatting I would have thought would be actually reducing/stopping the harmonic current itself?

am I barking up the right tree?