HD TV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local radio has a TV expert and an arial guy in to do and occasional Q&A .

The TV guy said that HD is only worth the effort on the larger screens 42" I think he said . I get HD of the Freesat but to be honest its hardly any different from the normal picture . We have a 35" screen I think .

Any comments??

I would agree we have a 32 inch in the bedroom and a 60inch in the lounge the 60 inch is much better displaying HD and a vast difference is seen

we set up a hd sky and sky plus box one in conservatory of te customers house and the other was set up in the customers lounge, switched on same channel one being hd the other normal and i never saw an ounce of differnce both screens were 40" i think.

Recently fitted a dish and a freesat HD receiver to my 40 inch full HD TV and the HD channels are definately much much better than the standard definition channels. I tell you, Wayne Rooney is not a pretty sight in HD..

I think when I get round to getting a new tv I'll have laser surgery done the same time so I can see the difference lol. My eyes are terrible and I can't see the difference either but I'm still using an old 29" tv one of the ones that's about 2 foot deep in my front room lol. Wish I could afford a decent tv but then again I don't watch it much anyway.

Do the bigger tv's cost more to run?

Cathode ray tube TVs still give a better picture than half the lcd screens I've seen. Which is why I still have 2 of them, and won't change them until they die, or someone gives me

The TV guy said that HD is only worth the effort on the larger screens 42" I think he said .

Any comments??
I would agree 37" and above you would begin to see the benefit, conversely SD will look worse on a larger screen if no upscaling is taking place, basically there is less detail to fill the grater number of lines

Was at a customers house the other day, and blueray discs are certainly better on hd screens.
An example of a known HD source providing good results, I carry two reference BluRay's just for this purpose

HD channels are definately much much better than the standard definition channels. I tell you, Wayne Rooney is not a pretty sight in HD..
Not all HD channels are equal, some broadcast in 720p which is still HD but not TrueHD 1080p, you will know when you are looking at TrueHD. I suspect that a number of supposed HD channels do fill airtime with some SD content

I think when I get round to getting a new tv I'll have laser surgery done the same time so I can see the difference lol.
I know what you mean, I have to put my glasses on for HD

Cathode ray tube TVs still give a better picture than half the lcd screens I've seen. Which is why I still have 2 of them, and won't change them until they die, or someone gives me

Not all HD channels are equal, some broadcast in 720p which is still HD but not True HD 1080p

They are, they all ONLY broadcast at 720p!! None broadcast in 1080p.

The only time you will get true HD 1080p is playing HD-DVD and Blue Ray discs on an HD equipped machine... There are No plans to broadcast in 1080p in the foreseeable future, either!!! Bit of a Con calling 720p HD, when it's far from being anywhere near the 1080p standard if you ask me!!!....

Recently fitted a dish and a freesat HD receiver to my 40 inch full HD TV and the HD channels are definately much much better than the standard definition channels. I tell you, Wayne Rooney is not a pretty sight in HD..
Hate to see what Katie Price or Kerry Katona looks like on HD then:O:O

I tell you, Wayne Rooney is not a pretty sight in HD..

Wayne Rooney isn't a pretty sight in the flesh (so to speak), never mind on any other format!! He's Dead lucky he knows how to kick a ball about for 90 minutes, or he'd be having an equally unpretty sight on his arm too!!! lol!!!

Local radio has a TV expert and an arial guy in to do and occasional Q&A .Any comments??
Why promote television on the radio? Like McDonalds sponsoring the menus in Burger King. Seems an odd segment for the radio. :C

Not all HD channels are equal, some broadcast in 720p which is still HD but not True HD 1080pThey are, they all ONLY broadcast at 720p!! None broadcast in 1080p.

The only time you will get true HD 1080p is playing HD-DVD and Blue Ray discs on an HD equipped machine... There are No plans to broadcast in 1080p in the foreseeable future, either!!! Bit of a Con calling 720p HD, when it's far from being anywhere near the 1080p standard if you ask me!!!....
Sorry you are incorrect and I was partially incorrect

SkyHD, BBC HD broadcast in 1080i but still 1080, neither by defult broadcast in 720p for reasons I have stated before and as you elude to, e.g it would be pointless

And I agree HD Ready = 720p is misleading but it was developed for the NTSC market not PAL regions

If you'd like a debate on interleaved and progressive scan feel free ;)

This is the fundamental reason why those who said LCD's would kill off Plasma were wrong. The closest visual experience to CRT in flat screens is Plasma, basically LCD's (and LED) suffer from artefacts (shimmers etc) around moving objects
Its the artefacts I object too - nice to know what the official term is for them :D

Sorry you are incorrect and I was partially incorrectSkyHD, BBC HD broadcast in 1080i but still 1080, neither by defult broadcast in 720p for reasons I have stated before and as you elude to, e.g it would be pointless

And I agree HD Ready = 720p is misleading but it was developed for the NTSC market not PAL regions

If you'd like a debate on interleaved and progressive scan feel free ;)
Your right, ....I just checked on the UK broadcasters,

....Yet i'm sure that a couple of years ago i read an article, saying that the UK broadcasters were only going to broadcast in 720p and had no plans for 1080 in the near future!!!. I'm sure it was something about ''why buy HD 1080TVs if you don't own a blue-ray or HD DVD player'' I guess that's one of the problems of reading articles in isolation, while not being domiciled in the UK. Things can get a little blurred at times ...lol!!

I'm conversant with the differences between the I and P designations, and like others, sometimes affix the wrong designation at times...

As a matter of interest, what would you classify as being the better and the worst of the worlds TV systems. ie ...PAL I D/K B/G, SCAM, NTSC4.43/3.80 ??

Yes some of the old google search fluff still has BBC engineers comments about this dating back to 2006

Well best, I'd have to say PAL but then I'm English and IIRC was out of the BBC labs way back, the differing I D/K etc refer to the frequency that the audio is carried, now it's a menu option on some TV's, but in the good old days I use to charge a arm and a leg to retune the POT on CRTs for the export market

Now if I were French or Russian I'd go for SECAM (although the two versions differ technically), but fortunately I'm not French

But the Septics are stuck with NTSC or 'Never The Same Color' :^O

Remember it is about lines of resolution PAL being 625 hence why 720 offers little

Now just when you thought it settled, the BBC and NHK (Japan) were testing 4k resolution TV last month, but don't worry you will get at least 5 years of use from your HDTV before you MUST buy UHDTV

Yeah, your dead right about the NTSC System ....absolute and unadulterated crap!!! The Scam standard seems to be a pretty good system, but i still think that the Pal system is the better all round standard. As i think is proved, by the amount of countries adopting it.

And that frequency thing was the same scenario here too. They wanted i think 20/30 Cy Pounds to, as they said ...''re-chip'' haha!!! ....Luckily i always hang on to TV circuit diagrams and quickly found the Pots on my 2 additional TVs i brought here. A bit of fiddling around and it's sorted!!! The main TV was multi standard so no problem. Also did the same on my then VCRs.

It'll be a lot longer than 5 years here before any need to change, there still getting there heads around broadcasting in stereo let alone HD TV, or UHD TV ...haha!!!

I forgot to mention that the expert also said they are still transmitting on half power until the switchover . Full power would interfere with the analogue signal .

Patch, its that sort of programme , various guests each week on subjects from antiques, TV, law, rare records , even a VET , local history, phone in with questions ,BBC Radio WM

Yes some of the old google search fluff still has BBC engineers comments about this dating back to 2006Well best, I'd have to say PAL but then I'm English and IIRC was out of the BBC labs way back, the differing I D/K etc refer to the frequency that the audio is carried, now it's a menu option on some TV's, but in the good old days I use to charge a arm and a leg to retune the POT on CRTs for the export market

Now if I were French or Russian I'd go for SECAM (although the two versions differ technically), but fortunately I'm not French

But the Septics are stuck with NTSC or 'Never The Same Color' :^O

Remember it is about lines of resolution PAL being 625 hence why 720 offers little

Now just when you thought it settled, the BBC and NHK (Japan) were testing 4k resolution TV last month, but don't worry you will get at least 5 years of use from your HDTV before you MUST buy UHDTV
Why you having a dig at mebad day explode