Heat shrink

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack123455

Reaction score
After some advice for a scored / scratched cable. The cable core is scratched roughly 1-2 Inch removing the colour but leaving a white colour not down to the copper.

It’s for a 110v power supply. Would a small piece of heat shrink provide adequate protection to avoid replacing the whole cable as it will be too short of cut back!

Thanks

(Corrected title)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dry environment and it feeds a piece of equipment.

Also it’s protected in trunking if that helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
After some advice for a scored / scratched cable. The cable core is scratched roughly 1-2 Inch removing the colour but leaving a white colour not down to the copper.

It’s for a 110v power supply. Would a small piece of heat shrink provide adequate protection to avoid replacing the whole cable as it will be too short of cut back!

Thanks

(Corrected title)
I would say yes, purists will probably say no. It will be fine with heatshrink sleeve.

I would say OK too, dryness and the fact that it's in trunking being significant.
Has it been damaged by dragging over a sharp edge in the trunking? If so stick a bit of plastic extrusion over the offending edge.

I think it was pulling it through a bush and they have caught the cable. Not my work. I was just asked to rectify!

Just curious, you said 110v....
But what current / power is the supply feeding?

Personally...
I would get insulation resistance tests done on the cable...

If the insulation is still mechanically intact...
it doesn't matter if a bit of colour has been scratched off...

If insulation tests out all good.. just pop any bit of suitably coloured sleeve to identify the conductors function.
(no need to shrink with heat!)

(Industrial inspector spouting forth) I reiterate comments above but emphasize the validation: a quick insulation resistance (500V min) to check the shave wasn't too close, press firmly but *flat* (don't press the point in or you'll just find copper) on what looks like the deepest point of damage. If you find a good reading just wrap it with tape (⅓ overlap) and close up the trunking! But if have any doubts at all, a single layer of shrink is adequate, you only need glue shrink if the enclosure is outdoors or there's some other external influence (e.g. steam, chemical vapour) ... or if your trunking is vertical -- creepage does unexpected things in vertical containment!

But if have any doubts at all, a single layer of shrink is adequate, you only need glue shrink if the enclosure is outdoors or there's some other external influence (e.g. steam, chemical vapour) ... or if your trunking is vertical -- creepage does unexpected things in vertical containment!
As heatshrink is being fitted, no real downside to the glue lined stuff, hardly breaks the bank.

Thanks all for the advice. IR readings checked out and shrink fitted to be sure. Problem solved.

Latest posts