hello all

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssdducks77

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just starting my training and embarking on a new career! Does the maths thing get any easier? Trying to re-engage with gcse maths after sooooo many years is hard! Any tips? Would appreciate any help at all! I havent even started with a mentor at the moment and im hoping things will fall into place?

Cheers,

Newbie!

The maths don't get Easyer at all but I don't use it in the real world anyway

Welcome to the forum. every subject, maths included, should get easier as you gain more experience and understanding of the underlying concepts and principals. If it is not getting any easier then you are quite probably out of your depth for your chosen course or field of work. Any electrician involved with any design, fault finding, inspection reporting of an installation will be using some maths to verify circuit conductor capacities, derating, compliance with the various regulations to ensure automatic disconnection in the event of a fault and volt drop etc.. We quite often see members posting on the forum basic questions, struggling with fault finding or design calculations, especially if it involves a bit of formula transposition. Or how to calculate the effects of components connected in parallel or series. Don't think you can just look up answers in tables in the BS7671, inevitably there will be some calculations involved.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello & welcome.

Stick with the maths, put in the extra work and it should get easier.

When I was studying for my HND I was lucky enough to get help from someone who was studying for a maths degree with the aim of becoming a teacher. I found this very useful so I'd advise you to make the most of your mentor.

default_good%20luck.gif

Welcome to the forum. every subject, maths included, should get easier as you gain more experience and understanding of the underlying concepts and principals. If it is not getting any easier then you are quite probably out of your depth for your chosen course or field of work. Any electrician involved with any design, fault finding, inspection reporting of an installation will be using some maths to verify circuit conductor capacities, derating, compliance with the various regulations to ensure automatic disconnection in the event of a fault and volt drop etc.. We quite often see members posting on the forum basic questions, struggling with fault finding or design calculations, especially if it involves a bit of formula transposition. Or how to calculate the effects of components connected in parallel or series. Don't think you can just look up answers in tables in the BS7671, inevitably there will be some calculations involved.Doc H.
Thanks for that, I hope im not out of my depth, although it is a complete career change, I'm not daft I have completed an honors degree, just in a completely unrelated subject and 10yrs ago, just hard getting brain working again. I think the maths would make more sense if they were applied to a situation or problem. Thank you for your words of wisdom though.

Cheers.