Hello...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoopta

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here, keen interested in carpentry and mechanical engineering, but interested in getting to understand electrical design so thought here might be a great place to start....

Have a great Xmas!

Thanks. I hope so, it can be quite hard to jump into something like this when you need to start with the basics!

I have two projects on at the moment, the more serious is setting up a home alarm system...which I'm running away with an thinking about all sorts of home automation options now that i've been reading through some of these forum pages.

The second is more fun, and because it is for my son buys me some credit to spend more time in the workshop...but i'm looking at building a "slotting machine toy" - basically my 20month old son loves stealing my credit cards/keys/pens and anything else he can get his hands on a poking them through cracks and holes.....so I thought why not build him something that lights up, whizzes, bangs, sings, vibrates when he does so - that way I might at least be able to find my stuff when I need it! Already got the basic idea built, but now just playing with the idea of incorporating electronics with carpentry.

Thanks. I hope so, it can be quite hard to jump into something like this when you need to start with the basics!

I have two projects on at the moment, the more serious is setting up a home alarm system...which I'm running away with an thinking about all sorts of home automation options now that i've been reading through some of these forum pages.

The second is more fun, and because it is for my son buys me some credit to spend more time in the workshop...but i'm looking at building a "slotting machine toy" - basically my 20month old son loves stealing my credit cards/keys/pens and anything else he can get his hands on a poking them through cracks and holes.....so I thought why not build him something that lights up, whizzes, bangs, sings, vibrates when he does so - that way I might at least be able to find my stuff when I need it! Already got the basic idea built, but now just playing with the idea of incorporating electronics with carpentry.

Don't let him make a habit of that

Don't joke about the sockets....he's desperate to get something in there. It's like he believes its the key hole to the world's supply of toys!