Help Appreciated - Awol Builder / No Elec. Cert So No Completion Of Loft Conversion.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh cmon on Deke, clancys mob have just jumped into bed with kerchings favorite orange pinney purveyor. They appear not to be interested in industry standards but cold hard cash.

These super sparks will have done a 10 week course rather than a 7 week one.

:(

You mean its now  the NICEICB&Q   ?  
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

If the Building Inspector passes ours I shall be sort of happy as I'll have the certificate for future / insurance purposes etc but am looking at it as not worth the paper it is written on as it turns out the electrician had never actually met the builder so how on earth he is capable of telling what is under the floorboards / plasterboard etc and if it  is safe I have no idea. As a person whose electrical knowledge extends to wiring a plug from a customers point of view I'd want any further electrician to be responsible entirely for their own work as this experience has made my eyes goggle especially as I caught a snippit of a programme this morning which said 70 people a year die from faulty electrics with about 350 000 injuries caused by electrical accidents in the home - I hope it wasn't a sign    I know these won't all be down to dodgy wiring but it was food for thought and if I was an electrician  I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone elses work.

Thanks for your help / advice 

Well,,, if this electrician signed an Electrical Installation Report saying that he did all the work then he is now legally liable for ALL the work,,, hidden or not ;)

Could you scan the certificate and post the images on here... Obscuring any details of yourself and the contractor,, then we'll be able to give some better advice

If the Building Inspector passes ours I shall be sort of happy as I'll have the certificate for future / insurance purposes etc but am looking at it as not worth the paper it is written on as it turns out the electrician had never actually met the builder so how on earth he is capable of telling what is under the floorboards / plasterboard etc and if it  is safe I have no idea. 
I would treat this in two parts.

If you get the certificate that building control need and you get your completion certificate from them, then that's good. One box ticked.

THEN (and only then) pay another electrician to do an EICR (Electrical Installation condition Report) He won't be able to inspect hidden buried cables, but he will be able to inspect what he can see and do some tests to verify that the circuits are electrically correct (or not).  

If he gives it a satisfactory report then that's good, and I think the matter is finished. If he gives it an unsatisfactory then that's ammunition for you to take it up with the original builder and get the faults put right.

I'll scan them in tomorrow as I am unable to edit them with the computer so can't delete the names etc. so Ill print it off and cover those bits.  I suppose yes i look at it as one hoop jumped through for the cert - mainly so we don't have a problem in years to come if we sell up or the kids won't when we croak it.  To be honest if anything shows up when i get them looked at properly ( the man only actually spent about 15 mins in the fuse box/ loft) if there is anything that shows up I'd be quite happy whipping the carpet up or making holes in the ceiling as it would be for peace of mind and in the grand scheme of things a bit of patching up etc doesn't bother me too much.    

Lesson learned but I hope for your sakes the people who legislate on this kind of stuff pay reverence to your training and skill 

Think I have managed it - Also got the completion certificate through last week which is good for us for insurance / future if we sell it but kind of makes a mockery of the system.