Help!! Info needed about a special location

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmacca81

Reaction score
Hi, I have not long done the 17th edition and 2392. My friend asked me if i would take a look at the electrical installation work done on his on-suite bathroom. He has had a new bathroom suite fitted and was a bit woried about the mess of cables in his attic that the sparky had left.

Before the wiring was done there was a single light and a 3amp fused switch controlling an extractor fan.

There has been 2 spot lights put in and an inline extractor fan (with a timer) which also includes a spot. The fan now comes on with the lights. There is new cables (brown, blue and earth) to the new spots from the existing wiring (which is red, black and earth). There is no rcd protection and no fuse for the fan only an isolator. There is also a new metal radiator (i couldn't see any bonding).

The sparky issued my friend with a Minor works certificate, saying everything was changed like for like.

My questions are:

1) would this be classed as minor works?

2) would it be classed as a modification to the lighting circuit?

3) should he of installed an rcd on the lighting circuit, being a room containing a bath or shower?

4) There was no sticker stating that there are to colours of BS7671, should he of placed on the consumer unit?

I asked these questions to the electrician, and he said that because the house is under 12 years old, there was no need to put an rcd on the circuit. also he said if he did put an rcd on the circuit it would trip every time the lights are put on. to me it sounds crazy, but when a more experienced electrican tells you this, you start to question yourself!!

Please could you let me know if he has carried the installation to the current regulations, and if not what should he of done?

this is the way i see it maybe wrong.

1) yes

2) yes

3) yes

4)yes

if you touch anything i.e change the circuit in a home, you need to rcd protected.

also you need isolation for the fan.

Sounds like he's talking out of his bum. Bit like the one I did the other day so called sparks said he had done it to 16th edition although did not put any sup bonding in. What planet do these guys come from.

Batty

Sounds like he's talking out of his bum. Bit like the one I did the other day so called sparks said he had done it to 16th edition although did not put any sup bonding in. What planet do these guys come from.Batty
No offence Batty but perhaps the answer is Uranus!

Unfortunately these blaggers will always talk out of their fat hairy axxes and blag themselves out of sticky situations and try to prove to everyone that they know everything and can do the most wonderful of jobs!

No offence Batty but perhaps the answer is Uranus!Unfortunately these blaggers will always talk out of their fat hairy axxes and blag themselves out of sticky situations and try to prove to everyone that they know everything and can do the most wonderful of jobs!
Thats a bit personal I was think more the sun as its gone to their heads.

:coat

ah its ye ol' 12 year rule. Anything that one does that doesnt conform is subject to the 12year rule. What a load of old tripe!!!

as danny says, I'd say yes for 1-4

Hi, I have not long done the 17th edition and 2392. My friend asked me if i would take a look at the electrical installation work done on his on-suite bathroom. He has had a new bathroom suite fitted and was a bit woried about the mess of cables in his attic that the sparky had left.Before the wiring was done there was a single light and a 3amp fused switch controlling an extractor fan.

There has been 2 spot lights put in and an inline extractor fan (with a timer) which also includes a spot. The fan now comes on with the lights. There is new cables (brown, blue and earth) to the new spots from the existing wiring (which is red, black and earth). There is no rcd protection and no fuse for the fan only an isolator. There is also a new metal radiator (i couldn't see any bonding).

The sparky issued my friend with a Minor works certificate, saying everything was changed like for like.

My questions are:

1) would this be classed as minor works?

2) would it be classed as a modification to the lighting circuit?

3) should he of installed an rcd on the lighting circuit, being a room containing a bath or shower?

4) There was no sticker stating that there are to colours of BS7671, should he of placed on the consumer unit?

I asked these questions to the electrician, and he said that because the house is under 12 years old, there was no need to put an rcd on the circuit. also he said if he did put an rcd on the circuit it would trip every time the lights are put on. to me it sounds crazy, but when a more experienced electrician tells you this, you start to question yourself!!

Please could you let me know if he has carried the installation to the current regulations, and if not what should he of done?
Like 4 Like.... My ar5e!!!!:| X(

Like 4 like IMHO is...

remove old fitting.... add new fitting.

or..

disconnect one section of damage cable...

and insert a new piece of cable between the disconnected ends!

IF

it involves additional light fittings

AND

additional lengths of cable.. it is NEW work!!!

(about as like for like as my left ear hole and Admins right Buttock!!!!):Oheadbang

12 year No RCD????

Isn't that in the same sub section as the reg that says :

If the electricians mother is a red-head less than 56 with a daughter who has a bra size of 34B and a son who went to school with Lewis Hamilton then a 100ma RCD is only required on Fridays?

Deke OR GH will know?

and

Last edited by a moderator:
whilst we are on the subject...

i went to a job the other day where a spark had refitted the bath room, no rcd and no main bonding.

am i right in thinking that , on i minor job, before doing the job, you need to check size of tails, size of earth, bonding, etc etc.

and if its not up to scratch , you have to corrrect it before/ whilst you are doing the minor job.

the reson i ask , is all my minor job's i price in, to upgrade any way so there is not problem, but this job where the "sparky" had refitted the bathroom, he had just written on the minor report, "no bonding found" and signed it.

well i not sure if you have to (interested to know) but, it makes good business sence to, that I am certain of! Guiness Drink

Thank you for the replies, what worries me most is that the sparky is registered with the NICEIC as domestic installer, contractors and has TRUSTMARK. The minor works certificate was the red version with his enrolment number. My friend told the sparky that he was going to contact the NICEIC about the work carried out. The sparky replied that it would cost him

Thank you for the replies, what worries me most is that the sparky is registered with the NICEIC as domestic installer, contractors and has TRUSTMARK. The minor works certificate was the red version with his enrolment number. My friend told the sparky that he was going to contact the NICEIC about the work carried out. The sparky replied that it would cost him

i have recently been called to a job where a " domestic installer" NICEIC had botched the whole thing.

seems like its becoming more common.

whilst we are on the subject...i went to a job the other day where a spark had refitted the bath room, no rcd and no main bonding.

am i right in thinking that , on i minor job, before doing the job, you need to check size of tails, size of earth, bonding, etc etc.

and if its not up to scratch , you have to corrrect it before/ whilst you are doing the minor job.

the reson i ask , is all my minor job's i price in, to upgrade any way so there is not problem, but this job where the "sparky" had refitted the bathroom, he had just written on the minor report, "no bonding found" and signed it.
any one like to shead some light on this?

whilst we are on the subject...i went to a job the other day where a spark had refitted the bath room, no rcd and no main bonding.

Oh danny boy... you are teasing us again aren't you? :D ; )Blushing

You know full well you are thinking of..

Reg 131.8 Page 16: Additions and Alterations to an installation

No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore that the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measures applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.
"No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent" Does INCLUDE ALL work major minor or in between!!!!

Guiness Drink

Earthing & Bonding.... well thats the....

er

Earthing & Bonding covered!Blushing:^O:^O:^O

;)

Just read the heading and i was expecting someone to have posted something along the lines of 'whats specs done now'?

But nope....nothing...oh well it must just be me thinking that then! :^O