help needed for Newlec NLSH12AN storage heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thugusher

Reaction score
hi all.. pls i'm after advice for a newlec storage heater thats not heating up. the other heater in the flat are working. I've checked the socket fuse which looks ok. does anyone know if this model has re-settable thermal links or melting links.

also it has the input/ output dials at top right corner and they are both set at level 6

hi all.. pls i'm after advice for a newlec storage heater thats not heating up. the other heater in the flat are working. I've checked the socket fuse which looks ok. does anyone know if this model has re-settable thermal links or melting links.
You really need to check fuses with a meter, either reading ohms or continuity.

Check the fuse/mcb at the board. Also the fuse in the fcu next to the machine. Whether it has a DP switch or an fcu, check the continuity of the switch between in/out sides.

Beyond that I'd suggest you need a multimeter that can read ohms scale so you can check the resistance of the elements. Checking the elements with a continuity tester isn't sufficient.

You could use a continuity tester to check continuity between the input lead and the element connections.

IIRC these heaters do not have a fusible link (the lead sort).

If you can find out where the break in supply is from the above, it will be necessary to call an electrician because there could be a fault with the circuit

thanks this is a brilliant guide guys... i think my tenants put their washing on the heater hence stopped working. i'll take heater cover off and try and locate trip reset button... will let you guys know how i get on..

sorry another silly question, are these heater meant to be switch on at night between 12am - 7am only??

thanks this is a brilliant guide guys... i think my tenants put their washing on the heater hence stopped working. i'll take heater cover off and try and locate trip reset button... will let you guys know how i get on..sorry another silly question, are these heater meant to be switch on at night between 12am - 7am only??
I think that storage heater has a daytime boost element but overnight will only store heat during economy seven time.

thanks guys found the trip reset although this was hidden away... heater back up and running again :)

You may find an element has gone have found that can trip reset out.Batty
which trip do you mean batty? a lot of our properties have dimplex storage heaters fitted and the only trip internal to the heater is a mechanical thermal cut out so shouldn't be affected by a faulty element, obviously though a trip as in mcb/rcd/rcbo could well be tripped by a faulty element.

the old creda's with the melting link was a PITA as they came in sorts of fitments as well as lots of different ratings(normally colour coded), the new resetable cutouts are much easier to work with :)

hi guys.. got heater woes again now all 3 of them aren't heating up any electrician on here that can come and have a look at them im near camden rd,