Help with wire location

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Reaction score
http://s111.photobucket.com/user/niton1/media/IMG_5099_zpsj0mun5jc.jpg.html?o=26

My mothers light, which admittedly was far too heavy anyway, came crashing down during the night. As the old light has smashed she just wants a standard light. Ive wired up a few ceiling roses but the wires have beat me.   This is a top landing  2 way light.   Can anyone point me in the correct direction as to where these wires go.   The tester shows the live and nothing from any of the rest.  The spark that she uses wont be available until next week.

hope the pictures work.  thanks

no idea :C

not very helpful, I know. you should have taken a photo prior to pulling everything apart.

the one live will be the loop in, the rest you will need to test with a continuity testER / multi meter.

without being there to see whats working and whats not its just wires sticking out the ceiling.

sorry

No probs blue duck, thanks for reply.   Unfortunately i couldnt get pictures of the way it was wired as the wires somehow the wires came out of the block when it fell.   

cheers

I think the two 3 core cables are the switch drops to the upstairs and dowsntairs switches.

The one you have identified is the loop in, so the other 2 core is probably the loop out.

Is that enough or do you need more?  If so start by looking inside the light switches where you should find the other end of the 3 core cables and tell us which colour goes tot he switch Common terminal.

Appreciate your help guys.  Will give it a go in the morning when its light.

Will let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Have you now got other lights not working since it fell down?

That might confirm the 2nd T&E is the loop out.

yep all the others work.  I do remember her having issues with that light and a bedroom light but a spark sorted it last time.

Must say that the two 3 core cables seem to  over complicate the issue somewhat ,   10 connections behind a light  not counting earths.

The 3 core cables are not for smoke detectors are they ?

Must say that the two 3 core cables seem to  over complicate the issue somewhat ,   10 connections behind a light  not counting earths.

The 3 core cables are not for smoke detectors are they ?
ah, Just when i think of it there are smoke alarms. One at top landing and one in the bottom hall.

Is the landing smoke detector still in place , connected and working ?      Just trying to rule out the two 3 core cables.
Would need to check in the morning as its my mothers house.  should i take the battery out from it to test if working ?

No , What I was wondering was  ...are those two  3core cables  hanging from the light hole ,  actually meant to be for your smoke detectors ... but if it is still in place then I'm talking nonsense and the cables are indeed something to do with the lighting . 

It would'nt hurt to give the test button a press though ...........just make sure they are working .  

I raise this because I don't see the need for  2 X 3core  and 2 X 2 core cables at a landing light  and thought they may have been for something else.

Worth checking if the cmokes are working. If they are mains powered there will be a little light to show they are getting mains power.

That could also explain the other 2 core, loop put to feed smokes perhaps?  (it's not loop out to other lights as you tell us all the other lights are working)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys all of your advice is spot on.   The 2 core is powering the smoke alarms.    One of the 3 core is from the switch to the light.   The other 3 core is connected for the 2 way light downstairs.

Got in late from work and dont want to do too much with torch light so ive just connected the light and hey presto it works.  Just got the smoke alarm  to connect and thats that done.

I was also thinking of connecting the smoke alarms to a junction box in the  loft as there is lots of wires to connect in the rose ??

Just one thing though where does the yellow from the 3 core connect to?   I used a multimeter to find the switched live which showed it was one of the 3 core back to the switch.   

Cheers