Ceiling Rose Nightmare

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbil

Reaction score
Hi,

Having just moved into a new house I inherited a landing of dangling wires where the previous owner had obviously removed the light and just left it (luckily the electrics were off).

When I viewed the property I made a point of testing the lights and this particular light (landing) was controlled by 2 switches, 1 downstairs 1 upstairs.

Whats confusing me is that there are 2 triple cables and 1 single and having inspected the switches the single wire matches the connection within them. I also noticed a terminal block on the floor which I guess was connected to 1 or more of the wires,,,,,

I have tried all sorts of combinations (via a ceiling rose) presuming the single wire is the 'switch' wire all to no avail.

Any help or advice is most gratefully received,

Lilbil

Try complaining to the estate agent...prob won't get you anywhere though

when you say triple cable ....do you mean 2 insulated cores red/black or brown/blue plus a bare earth wire within a single cable?

do,all other lights still work?

what level of experience do you have? Have you got any way of testing the cables?

Hi,

Many thanks for your response.

There are 2 wires with insulated cores red/black plus a bare earth wire within each of these cables and a 3rd single wire (red sheathed). None of the upstairs lights work currently.

I'm just a DIY'er so don't have any testing equipment unfortunately.

Thanks,

Paul

Unless the sales contract says otherwise they are supposed to leave lights working. If it was agreed a light fitting was going to be removed you should have ensured the contract said it would be replaced by a simple pendant.

Get an electrician around, it won't cost much or take him long to sort it out, then send his bill to the vendor.

The previous owner can not leave a light fitting missing and cables dangling.

Best advice is to get a spark into fix the problem and pass the bill, via your solicitor , to the previous owner .....

Latest posts