Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fresher

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im after some advice please. I'm 29, very new to electrics but am determined too become an electrician. I signed up with train4jobs for part p defined. But cancelled when I realised it wasn't worth the money. I went too my local college tonight because it was apprenticeship night. I got there and they nearly fell off their chairs laughing because of my age! Ha. Funny! But once we got talking they gave me some helpful advice. Mainly being sign up for the 2365 c&g nvq. Which I knew because I am going to another college tomorrow night too sign up for it. But I signed up at this college to because it's closer. Is this what I need to do. I understand it's unlikely I'll get an apprentiship even if I do the level 2 because I can't drive till 2020. But I'm determined to do this and i will fund it myself if that's what it takes. Do I need level 3 to do house installations. Or just

level 2 c&g 2365

17th edition 

AM2

part p.

Can you please help advise/direct me in the right direction.

Thank you. 

You can forget about what you call Part P  Fresher .    Part P means nothing in the world of qualifications ...it is merely Part P of The Building Regulations ...it basically says a domestic electrician must be qualified to test & sign off domestic work and the criteria is you belong to what we call a scam    scheme  as in NICEIC / ELECSA/ NAPPITT/ STROMA  who assess you every year as "competent".

I think you have named the qualificatioins you need , I'm not up to speed with them , others will put you right .   I think you will need  , is it NVQ 3 ?  Which means , I believe , you need a job as an apprentice , mate, trainee etc.      

If you fund it yourself , you may find a job as a Trainee is the route to go , that would give the practical and you'd pay for the courses.  

Don't know why they laughed at you  ...there seems to be many mature students these days ...and their route seems to be the Domestic Installer route  (DI)  

Thats because an apprentiship these days is as rare as a Muslim  footballer walking his dog while eating a sausage sandwich .    

A lad works with us for experience , 40 in his class at local college , he is the only one who has ever worked "on the tools"  . They are all writing off for jobs but it seems its a waste of time . Sorry to be negative but whatever is said ....there are very few apprenticships I'm afraid .      You sound determined , I wish you luck .  

Last edited by a moderator:
you are an adult, so cost too much as an apprentice. You need to work as a 'mate'. There are lots of building sites these days, where you may get experience, to go with the studying, from an electrician. Money will be lettuced!

Thank you for your response Evans electric. Alah ! 

I didn't know they were that rare!! No I did really. But I thought I'd  give it a go. But I've prepared myself for it not to happen that way. I'm hoping to become an electricians mate while doing my course. It seems I need to get myself an cscs/Ecs card to have a chance of getting one. But I am very determined to make it. You my say I'm sad but It excites me. Ha. Glad I pulled out of train4jobs tho. £1800 for part p defined?!? WTGrape. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be posting I'm on the level 2 at college.  

Thank you again. 

Thank you for your response Evans electric. Alah ! 

I didn't know they were that rare!! No I did really. But I thought I'd  give it a go. But I've prepared myself for it not to happen that way. I'm hoping to become an electricians mate while doing my course. It seems I need to get myself an cscs/Ecs card to have a chance of getting one. But I am very determined to make it. You my say I'm sad but It excites me. Ha. Glad I pulled out of train4jobs tho. £1800 for part p defined?!? WTGrape. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be posting I'm on the level 2 at college.  

Thank you again. 
No one thinks you are sad mate ,  you're a guy trying to make  a living during hard times for trainees .   I suppose in the near future there will be a skill shortage the way its going . 

I think we have discussed Train4jobs  on here before .   I think what Binky says is the way to go ,  fund your own college course  and get a job as an Adult Mate / Trainee.

If you go JIB online  you should see the pay rates for employed sparks incuding  Adult Mates.