Helping to stop the cowboys

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A spark is a cowboy, for cutting a seal, pulling the fuse and getting on with the job?What about the ones that have been told to do it?

:eek:
Sory, you miss understood me.

I was saying that the sparks with qualifications will be quite happy to contact the DNO and prove their competence if needs be.

But the DIY'ers or cowboys with no qualifications would not contact the DNO, and just do the job by cutting the seal and pulling the fuse.

Thus all this does is add paperwork, delay and possibly cost for the decent qualified spark, and does nothing to stop cowboys.

I was not implying that because you cut a seal and pull the main fuse you are a cowboy.

At a job today and had EDF out to change a meter, upgrade their tails and connect an new CU. He fitted a digital meter and I noticed there was no isolating switch. He told me they are longer fitting them in an effort to " stop the cowboys" He also asked for my elecsa reg. He told me that they will no longer connect up a new CU or new install without proof that the work has been carried out by a competent person. This is a big change from last year when I had them out to connect four new installs and they checked nothing. Lets hope this trend continues and that other suppliers start doing the same.
Well i had exactly the opposite of this on the same day. I had Southern Electric out to upgrade a single phase meter to 3 phase on an existing head. I had fitted a 100A switchfuse with 35mm tails ready for the meter ( The supply ran 60m to another building) Mr Southern turned up fitted a 4 pole isolator and a 3 phase meter. I questioned the 25mm tails he supplied & connected to the 200A main fuse and he replied 'its all we have'. When i went to show him the other end of the cable he replied 'not interested, our responsibility ends here' as he tapped the new isolator he had fitted 100mm away from my switchfuse. He left the isolator turned off with a sticker on it saying its not Southerns responsibility to test further (or similar wording)

The only way you can get rid of the cowboys is to have the Law changed.

I have more chance of winning the lottery twice in the same week.

It is so fustrating when people talk about a recession, so they will use these cowboys.

I have never put a price on safety, especially in my own home!

The only way you can get rid of the cowboys is to have the Law changed.I have more chance of winning the lottery twice in the same week.

It is so fustrating when people talk about a recession, so they will use these cowboys.

I have never put a price on safety, especially in my own home!
In view of your recent case I would have to agree 100%

However as with any change in law, you have to consider how it will be enforced and the effectiveness of that enforcement. Part P in England has proved that a simple change in law will do nothing to stop cowboys. Prosecutions would have to be taken from the civil courts to the criminal courts and a statutory prison sentance imposed to give all but the hardened cowboy a moment to reflect the implications.

The effect of the cowboys is not only to give qualified electricians a bad name but it harms the economy as many of them operate behind the scenes without declaring the earnings.

I think there should be a change in the law, but it has to be severe change with severe consequences.

What would happen then if the DNO asked for a design to be given along with the certs before they come out and remove the fuse when a rewire or new installation is done?

99% of the 5-day wonders would not know where to start with one I bet;)

Never seen a cowboy worry about anything sealed, never mind bothering to report any work.