Hi Everyone, a question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conform Elec

Reaction score
I just would like EICR code clarification for switch and Sockets paint over only they are on position. Can’t be turned off
What code it should be ??? C3 or C2

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Interesting, there's no requirement to even have a switch on sockets, however if it's there it should becworking, so I would say C3 as it doesn't actually present a dangerous condition.

I just would like EICR code clarification for switch and Sockets paint over only they are on position. Can’t be turned off
What code it should be ??? C3 or C2

There is no immediate or potential danger of electric shock, injury, overload related fire etc.. that could make the installation unsatisfactory for continued use..

And there is no code required for an unswitched socket as the connected appliance can be isolated by simply unplugging it.

So it can be considered as not requiring any code, as there are no electrical safety issues?

Have you got a copy of best practice guide 4..?
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/mi1oqkur/best-practice-guide-4-issue-7-1.pdf
and have you read some of the myths listed at the rear of the guide..?

The last one bottom of page 23 states: Any observation not directly related to electrical safety and hence to the suitability of the installation for continued service.

Also if you read the example C3 codes.. I am not convinced that a un-operational switch, is in the same calibre as a typical C3?

What do these switches and sockets control? I think that is the most important question, before drawing any conclusions.

A bit unusual to say the least but may only merit a comment.

It is a functional switch therefore it should be capable of that function. Small gentle tap with a smallish hammer normally resolves it then remove the flaked paint.
5.18 of the Inspection Schedule, Condition of accessories............. is relevant.

There is no immediate or potential danger of electric shock, injury, overload related fire etc.. that could make the installation unsatisfactory for continued use..

And there is no code required for an unswitched socket as the connected appliance can be isolated by simply unplugging it.

So it can be considered as not requiring any code, as there are no electrical safety issues?

Have you got a copy of best practice guide 4..?
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/mi1oqkur/best-practice-guide-4-issue-7-1.pdf
and have you read some of the myths listed at the rear of the guide..?

The last one bottom of page 23 states: Any observation not directly related to electrical safety and hence to the suitability of the installation for continued service.

Also if you read the example C3 codes.. I am not convinced that a un-operational switch, is in the same calibre as a typical C3?
Thanks for your suggestions
Actually switching was not able to switch off due to accessive gloss paint

Latest posts