Hi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim82

Reaction score
Hello forumites and electricians. I run a small property maintenance & renovations company and employ (subbie) electricians as well as doing a bit myself. I'm not fully qualified but I've a fair bit of experience and I know my way around the regs and testing in small/medium urban domestics (Scotland). Glad to meet y'all :)

We only do quality work so complying with building regs isn't really a problem (regs here are different but pretty similar to England). I am glad I don't have to pay fat fees to the any of the scams, sorry schemes, just to operate though. I dunno what it's like down there but the council here are inpet to say the least (except when it comes to collecting your money) so the less I have to deal with and pay fees to them, the better. I sepnd a lot of time planning renovations, dealing with account clients and doing admin for the business so paying scam fees just don't make sense to me just now. There's pros and cons I susppose - some people are under the misapprehension that they must use a registered spark (rubbish mostly propogated by the schemes themselves I think) and due to the lack of regulation there's lots of cowboys around (which is good in a way i suppose when their crap needs fixed) and people think you're trying it on when you have to explain to them that no, you cant change their 70's Wylex for a new CU fuseboard for £150 (inc materials) and yes, you I do need to run cables to the incoming water and gas supply as well as (proper) testing, before the CU is changed. As I don't have a scam to back me up if anything happened, I think it makes me more careful that i'm doing everything I should be. If I had a pound for every NIC certificate i've come across not properly completed or with made-up test results, or a PIR as quote for remedial works.... well i'd have about 20 quid (not come across any EICR's from others' yet). But i'd only have a tenner for ones found which were done right, so to me being registered makes sod all differnce to the quality of the spark. Admittedly not come across any dodgy Select (the other scheme in Scotland along with NICEIC)-issued certs but then even coming across certs is a rarity, you usually get a blank stare when you ask clients if they got a certificate for their shiny new CU (probably a split-load installed 2012, every socket on the one RCD (or moved off it becasue of 'nuisance tripping'), not sealed @top, no bonding, rats nest etc). The number of installations I come across with no incoming earth (and often no sign of there ever having been one) is alarming. Why not just make it the law that all electrical work must be completed to '7671 or specified by engineer or you risk real actual prosecution and if people want to form federations they can. Instead of enforced extortion rackets (as if VAT, CIS, payroll admin, waste license and the rest weren't enough). Totally favours the big guys and makes it tough for the little guy to get anywhere.

hey buddy

i am elbin and i am from uk.

Last edited by a moderator: