hiding cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Small problem

i need to run a coax cable and 2 x 1.5mm t+e up a wall in a conservatory to supply a tv and a light

it needs to go on brick but i may be able to run it on the door frame which is dark wood.....only need to go vertical about 3m

can you paint trunking ?

you can get dark brown mini trunking d type.... is it any good ?

i have used the decorative trunking before - looks better, but has a lot less space due to its shape. should still be good for 2x 1.5 & coax though. iirc, you can get it in many colours

i dont think there is any problem with painting trunking - seen it done many times. only problem comes when its been painted many times and lid wont come off

you can paint it yeah. The brown stuff still sticks out like a sore thumb, but still looks better than white. Once did a rewire where a few switch drops had to be in brown trunking on top of oak panelling. doesnt look great but as long as you tuck it in the corners its bit less noticeable

I think TLC have all kinds of trunking even a lovely wood effect! :p Isn't there something in the regs about cables in trunking having the same insulation as the max (230v) cable in the trunking, If u get my drift?
i get your drift,,,,,,i will check that out...

coax with power?
I take it you are referring to segregation.

It all depends on WHAT is going in the trunking.

IF you are installing a fixed mains cable as part of the fixed wiring installation, to feed a 13A socket on the wall behind the tv, then I would agree you need to segregate the cables to comply with wiring regs.

However, although against regs, I would love someone to explain how it is actually dangerous? The mains cable is double insulated and the braid of the coax is at 0V so where is the hazard? I would concede there may be a hazard if wired in conduit singles rather than t&e.

However, if you are just wanting to hide the tv's mains power flex and aerial lead, then there is nothing wrong with putting them in the same trunking. Wiring regs only apply to the fixed wiring, not to what you do with the mains flex of an appliance. Indeed I hung a flat panel tv on the wall today and put the tv's mains lead, scart lead (to DVD player) and aerial lead all in one length of trunking. This is no different to wrapping all the cables in a bit of spiral wrap is it?

:Applaud

not sure my customer would be happy having trunking one way out of the building up the outside just to come back higher up !!!!

Latest posts