Holesaw Size?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Sam

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question. I am fitting some LED downlights in a kitchen soon and just wondering what size holesaw is best fit. The description says Cut-out dia: 72mm. Dia: 85mm.

My problem being 72mm doesn't seem to be a standard size, should I go for a size slightly bigger or smaller?

Thanks, Sam.

73mm will give you 0.5mm per side clearance not too much really! ;)

It will make them easier to fit I suspect, not that I can ever remember fitting any downlights, ever! ;)

I've done those with a 70mm and just look a bit out where the springs locate with the board saw.      Your worst scenario is going too big .

And don't forget , plasterboard really beggers up the Starrett blades  .  Those cheapo thin blades are often better for downlights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with my learned colleagues above.

73 will be fine

i have a set of grit edged holesaws for down lights....they are the dogs back wheels for plasterboard

on the subject of making a total Max Clifford of a Starret in plasterboard.....run the drill in reverse!....it still cuts and doesnt knacker the blade anywhere near as quickly

just saying that " just saying" does not get used half as much.....just saying

[they do that when they run out of stock as it costs them to re-list the item. I suspect if someone daft enough to pay a grand they'd source one PDQ]

Those red jobbies shown above on Fleabay are the ones .

Just saying  just saying 'cos I can, if I didn't I wouldn't but I do so I did and now I'm just saying that I just said that but in the past tense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on a minute don't buy the £1000 pound set it doesn't have a 72mm one in it you will be well disappointed if you do.

Is there a site for my neighbour  who always prefixes everything with "  I'm not being funny but............."

Just saying ..  there are other annoying  speech habits such as ....you know ...like ...erm ...you know ...like saying like ...you know ...all the time, like...you know and like ..worse is having..like..  the Australian rising inflection at the end of ..you knowwwWWWW .             Just saying . 

Theres a regular caller to our local radio who keeps injecting the word ...."Yeah ?"    then pauses ...as a question after every few words , to make the presenter/ listener respond  .  After a while they say " Yes we're all listening Fred " to move him along.      

I have ridden many a desk.  AND.  Have got through a lot of tissues

just reminiscing on my misspent formative tears
Now whats he mean here ?...........  the Y is next to the T  on the qwerty ...............but were there many tears during his formative years because they were misspent ............what saddness lurked within the young Kerch ?...........was it the other kids poking fun at his name ..." Hey Kerching ..whereja get that name ...sounds like a Username for the internet what 'aint bin invented yet "  

Did they steal his Eagle comic every week .......

Or was his 12 yr old self in love with Miss Cainemhard  and was a desk involved  there . :Blushing   

Latest posts