Horse transporter wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Just finished putting some sockets & a CU in the living area of horse transporter lorry. There is a 16A blue socket externally for electric hookup.

Do I need to put a bonding link from the earth bar in the CU to the chassis of the truck ?

Cheers

Just finished putting some sockets & a CU in the living area of horse transporter lorry. There is a 16A blue socket externally for electric hookup.Do I need to put a bonding link from the earth bar in the CU to the chassis of the truck ?

Cheers
would be advisable

OK, thats what I did. I asked the question because the socket I was using for the power to supply the horsebox was in a stable & there must have been a fault on this socket (unknown to me) because when I plugged the lead into the lorry I got a shock off the chassis. I checked the socket & there was a fault. (I told the owner, but thats another story). Just thought this might have damaged the 24V DC side of things ? If the bond wasnt there, the chassis wouldnt have been live?

You should be carefull when bonding to a chassis, they sometimes use the chassis as a neutral, or negative, on a 12 or 24 volt DC system.Do a check first! The new installs are more user friendly for electrical hook ups because they keep each circuit seperate.

Earthing is provided through the cpc of each circuit to the plugin earth.

Just finished putting some sockets & a CU in the living area of horse transporter lorry. There is a 16A blue socket externally for electric hookup.Do I need to put a bonding link from the earth bar in the CU to the chassis of the truck ?

Cheers
IMHO a horse transporter lorry (living area), could be considered similar to

either a:-

"motor caravan" as in Section 721 of the big red book...

or a "mobile or transportable Unit" as in section 717 of the big red book...

In which case...

both Regs 717.411.3.1.2 Protective equipotential bonding.

Accessible conductive parts of the unit such as the Chassis shall be connected through the main protective bonding conductors to the main earthing terminal within the unit.
or

721.411.3.1.2 Protective equipotetial bonding.

Structural metallic parts which are accessible from within the caravan shall be connected through the main protective bonding conductors to the main earthing terminal within the caravan.
are quite clear... Bond the Chassis! :) ;)

{ that was the longer version of Andy's "would be advisable" three worder } :) :eek:

:coatGuiness Drink

Isn't the chassis the negative on all vehicle electrical systems?
AFAIK it was in the olden days... when you tended to have both positive or negative chassis cars..

I am sure some of the early car radios... 'in my younger days' needing to buy stuff for either + or - chassis, so you don't knacker it when connecting it up!

Its is pretty well standard now for all vehicles to be Neg chasis...

:D

Keep it short & simple
or keep it long and simple;) :x :x

:^OGuiness Drink

sometimes others reading do like a bit of added info to back up the why's & wherefores. :)

IMHO can be helpful to those wot don't post or too scared to ask...... :(

even tho we is all very very friendly & helpful! :x ; )B-)

Guiness Drink:YGuiness Drink:Y

Latest posts