how can/do i get registered???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys i will try to be as quick as possible but this is a bit long winded and hope it makes sence.

i work for the family firm in solder manufacturing. 5-6 years ago it looked as though it was going to go bust.my dad who's the boss said that the company would pay for me to go to college with a view to becoming an electrician as the future wasn't looking good. my brother who's already an electrician(apart from 2391)left the family business about a year before all this as his part time electrician work was becoming full time.the idea was that if and when the solder company goes bust i would join him in the electrician game.

anyway fast forward 5-6 years and the family business is booming (which is good),so much so that bro has now come back to the firm.his electrician work has slowed down too but get the odd weekend bit's and bobs but earns decent money in the family 9-5 and so isn't that interested in working at weekends anymore.

here's where i need advice and help. in the 5-6 years of going to college i have passed everything i need to pass (other than PAT testing) even 2391

i'm not in the "trade" and other than the odd weekend bits and bobs i mentioned earlier have no real experience in sparking but would still like to get registered with someone so that i can test any work that we do do.

what do i have to do to get registered with NICEIC,NAPIT etc????

can i be registered if i'm not my own "company"???

Registration to any of the schemes will involve showing your work and records over the last 12 months or 6 months depending on what you do. All the sceme providers will have a "route to registration" part on their websites. You should read what they contain to see if you qualify for registration, some schemes will allow you to register and give you time to provide works that you will need for your assessment.

A single person can register but they would need to be a sole trader with appropriate public liability insurance, calibrated test equipment, complaints & heath & safety procedures etc. Strictly speaking a sole trader would also need to advise the tax man so as to declare their earnings with the annual tax return. You can be a sole trader and employed by another company as well.

Doc H.

The thing is we all have our preferences for one reason or another, what you have to do is what you think is best for your business. In all honesty they are all about the same price, so your considerations might be- picking a brand your prospective customers recognise, going for the scam provider that has the best technical support or even the nicest sounding telephone receptionist... I don't know what you want from it, only you can answer that question

When I went DI the most important aspect in my mind was going with a well known brand, one my customers recognise and one that I think had the best chance of bringing the work to me.... Looking back I also wanted to become an NICEIC AC so that I could tap into the insurance, council and other markets that just aren't open to members of the other scams (rightly or wrongly - I'm not going to debate that here) without a fight