How do I set up on my own?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
Ive passed all my exams ipaf, 17th,am2,2391 practical (Im awaiting my theory result I thought I passed this).Im in a situation where Im in and out of work through sub contracting because there are no permenant electrical jobs anywhere. I no I would need public liability insurance Im just sick to

death of carrying on, finishing one job not knowing where Im going next relying on ajencys to sort me out every time. I know what Im doing I just

want to get out there and start earning real money not the usual 300 a week a want to be pricing jobs. I just want to know whats the right way

about setting up is it just asking around shops supermarkets etc Ryan

You need to join a scam such as elecsa napit then you can sign off your own work it's worth looking in to it and there's loads of info on in the forums

just be aware that times are still hard, and there is limited work.. but i have found work pretty good this yr so far..

register with Hm customs and excise as self-employed, try to set up website, you can register with rated trades, my hammer and bid for work, like others say, register with scam provider. Keep receipts and details of any income and costs of running business, van and tools costs. Get a decent name. You can advertise in those free newspapers but normally about 130 per week or less if you commit to a longer run. Get cards printed and maybe leaflets and deliver door to door. If you need help filling in tax or need a plasterer let me know. You can register with yellow pages web site on line for free or you can pay a little extra for an enhanced listing.

and have enough cash to keep you living for at least 2 months,

and remember, you will need even more cash to buy materials upfront until your customer pays you in 2months time!

think about it, if the well established guys are finding it hard to keep you in steady work how do you reckon you are going to find enough on your own?

as for 300 a week, some people would be glad of that right now.

times are hard and a lot of people are virtually buying work just to buy some bread and keep a roof.

In regards payment, I say full payment due on completion, if lots of materials, I will purchase them and request payment once delivered on to the job, unless its just a small 1 or 2 day job. Payment in cash of balance due immediately on completion. Always reiterate this at time of quotation and on starting job.

Buy van, tools, testers, insurances, scam, business cards, bit of money to keep you going for a couple of months as steptoe said. Get some leaflets printed and do some door drops, talk to everyone one you meet about electrical work, price your jobs fairly, take all the work you can to begin with, one job leads to another. I would say as a rough guide you will need around ten grand to start with. It aint as glamourous as you might think, long hours doing tons of paperwork but it it will pay off in the end. I started up 8 months ago and have only started to get busy the last couple of months, you feel like jacking it in at times but once you have committed yourself you have to give it 100%. Good luck!

Wise words so far :) Ask every one you know friends and family etc if they want any work doing see what response you get. Ask to have a look at their CU and if they would genuinly benefit from an replacement explain the benefits and give them a rough idea of the cost. Remember lots of people don't know or care what an RCD is, but they do want a safe home. Could you combine contract/agency till you get work coming in?

Free Business Advise

Tax Man

Insurance

Yorkshire Business

Day Out

ESC videos

Are you not already self employed?

If I am understanding the term "sub contracting" correctly then you are employed on a job by job basis by the main contractor (not necessarily always the same main contractor)

To do so, you normally need to be signed up to the HMRC CIS scheme, so the contractor can pay you net of 20% income tax deducted.

If so then surely you are already self employed and fill in a tax return every year? (if ONLY subcontracting and always being paid net of 20% tax, then you will in fact get a tax refund every year as you will have over paid)

If that's how you are operating, I suggest you already need PL insurance.

And presumably you have your own tools and test equipment?

So you just need to join a part P scam (or move to Scotland :) )and advertise.

Your private self employed jobs can interleave with your subcontracting, which I would carry on doing until you have enough self employed work for you to manage without the subcontracting.

Also be aware that this is the worst time in history of the universe to be setting up on your own .

This , however ,was said to us in the 70s , but my M8 having more foresight than me said " If we don't do it now , we'll never do it" So we did and he was right .

But those times were nothing compared to this lot .

Also I wouldn't be sniffing at

Self employment is more than just able to work on your own, there is a lot of paperwork and administration, bookeeping costing estimates tax returns marketing advertising. To be a success you need to be good at the none electrical stuff as well.

Doc H.

I've just started out on my own (finally) and things aren't looking too bad. Registered as self employed, got my insurance sorted, am registering with Elecsa in the next week. In the next 15 working days, I have about 10 days of work lined up. 5 of those are with another spark on a rewire.

My advice would be to share bigger jobs with another spark and in return they share jobs with you. That way, the customer is happy because the job is done quicker, you have more time to get work in and both you and your mate are making money (hopefully). This is working in my favour so far, I know about 5 sparks locally who we are all sharing work here and there, and without it, i'd be struggling. Anyway, I don't know what I'm moaning about, I only started up yesterday!