How do we find out if our building has rising mains?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcat

Reaction score
Hello,
We are selling a maisonette in a two storey redbrick building of four maisonettes with private entrances, private gardens and no communal areas. Our management pack for our buyers is saying we are due to have electrical rising mains work in the near future costing approx 12k. There are no commual parts in the building, it's basically four completely separate dwellings. Our front door leads directly to our outside steps. There are no electrical systems/controls outside and we are responsible for our own interior wiring. We're fairly sure we don't have rising mains (there's no control/switch room or cupboard). How do we find out?

We are selling a maisonette in a two storey redbrick building of four maisonettes with private entrances, private gardens and no communal areas.
That description says to me it is a terrace house or 4 plex house not a maisonette. ?

Ask the management company exactly what they are proposing to replace? Or just leave it and see if the buyers solicitor mentions it?

That description says to me it is a terrace house or 4 plex house not a maisonette. ?

Ask the management company exactly what they are proposing to replace? Or just leave it and see if the buyers solicitor mentions it?
They are a large housing organisation covering the whole borough. They have a rolling maintenance program covering all types of property from high rise to houses. They can’t tell us how our particular building is supplied. I've posted a photo of the supply box and meter below. The building was bult in 1950, it's not terraced houses but not exactly a block of flats either. Our entrance is at the side up some stairs, the two ground floor flats have entrances at the front. I've attached a photo of our entrance too.

Attachments

• 20240922_115745.jpg
    20240922_115745.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1
The supply to that cutout is probably original and I suspect that is what they want to replace.

I always thought a maisonette was a Flat with its own entrance split over two floors accessed by an internal staircase.

I suspect there maybe a clause in your lease terms stating the freeholder can recover these costs through service charges.

It goes to each individual property from the street. There is no cupboard.
kinda as i expected. in which case there is no BNO. its simply the DNO's cable and their responsibility for them. if there's a fault with the cable then its upto DNO to sort it at their cost

if there is a cupboard soemwhere and the supply splits to each property, then its completely different

Last edited:
The fact the supply is in conduit with the conduit as the apparent protective conductor leads me to think they are coming from somewhere within that building and not a direct DNO supply.

kinda as i expected. in which case there is no BNO. its simply the DNO's cable and their responsibility for them. if there's a fault with the cable then its upto DNO to sort it at their cost

if there is a cupboard soemwhere and the supply splits to each property, then its completely different
Thank you. That's what we thought. There's no cupboard or switch room where the supply splits to each flat.

I suspect there is.
There's nowhere it could be. All entrances to the four flats are private. I've attached a photo. Our entrance is up the stairs by the gate, we're the entire first floor. The other door leads directly into the ground floor flat. They're all completely self contained.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922-125855_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922-125855_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240922_115745.jpg
    20240922_115745.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 0