How long do 2D lamps last

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like duff batch of fittings to me, but it is bloody irritating and quite random sometimes. Never had a problem with PIRs on same circuit, but with the ever increasing amount of electronic contols for low energy lighting, oddities seem to be occurring more often. One issue can be insufficient load for the PIR - had this problem with wall mounted units (as in replacments for light switches in hallway) caused the PIrs to become a bit random in operation even with a minimum load attached. Would also check if a capacitor needs fitting to circuit - 1 micro farrad per fitting seems to help a lot.

Sounds like duff batch of fittings to me, but it is bloody irritating and quite random sometimes. Never had a problem with PIRs on same circuit, but with the ever increasing amount of electronic contols for low energy lighting, oddities seem to be occurring more often. One issue can be insufficient load for the PIR - had this problem with wall mounted units (as in replacments for light switches in hallway) caused the PIrs to become a bit random in operation even with a minimum load attached. Would also check if a capacitor needs fitting to circuit - 1 micro farrad per fitting seems to help a lot.
I dont think that was the problem with mine. One job had the light operating from a timer via retractive switches, but we found out about the minimum load problems years back when the detectors were switching contactors only.

Its all to do with the efrequency of switching. I am having problems with many projects some old some new. PIRs need to be switched to their max i.e. 30 mins as the gas in the lamp needs to be heated up by the cathodes before they switch off and on again, that takes 13.5 min otherwise it never gets out of that cycle, hence lamps go brown and failing very early on in their life. Also HF balast have no means of turning the cathodes of before this time and so also take a hit. Everything gets very hot which is no good at all. Use tridonic ballast style fittings and keep switched on. Its all false economy otherwise. These lamps cost 12p per 24 hours to run.

I have been to a troublesome lamp about three times now, following information given here plus a talk with the tech department I extended the on time for the PIR, so far I have not been back and this is a couple of months now.

Trouble is a lot of pir's will only stay on for 15 minutes these days energy saving and all that I think we are fighting a looseing battle with this energy saving. Most floods only stay on for five minutes they really are not designed for low energy lamps.