How much???? 😡

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerching

©Kleenex™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
There are more and more adverts on TV and Radio for Charities asking for money. The majority are for admirable causes: research into cancer, child protection etc. However I found this on FB, it's a list of what the CEOs of the major charities draw in wages, coincidentally it is also a list of charities I will not be donating to

oh and also.    Children in Need appeal.....BBC take about £6.5M according to another site

IMG_5588.PNG

There's a website that list all UK charities, their income and how much of that actually goes to the cause they are a charity for, some of them are frightening.  

As regards supporting charities,  I've always believed it better to give a little of your time rather than cash. Unlike cash donations you can  direct its use and see the results of your efforts.

Over the years I've supported our local church, fixing lights and the PA system, etc, (though I'm not a regular church-goer),  for several years I serviced and repaired talking book machines for the RNIB, I helped our Scout group, mostly  by maintaining the minibus, and sometimes driving, and more recently I support a local heritage group. There is no shortage of deserving local causes.

Many people may consider me stingy, as the pitiful TV ad's  and the postal begging letters are consistently ignored, but that's my way.

As regards supporting charities,  I've always believed it better to give a little of your time rather than cash. Unlike cash donations you can  direct its use and see the results of your efforts.

Over the years I've supported our local church, fixing lights and the PA system, etc, (though I'm not a regular church-goer),  for several years I serviced and repaired talking book machines for the RNIB, I helped our Scout group, mostly  by maintaining the minibus, and sometimes driving, and more recently I support a local heritage group. There is no shortage of deserving local causes.

Many people may consider me stingy, as the pitiful TV ad's  and the postal begging letters are consistently ignored, but that's my way.
Years ago I was a volunteer for the Red Cross, we were entitled to claim expenses, such as fuel, but none of us ever did, I gave it up when I found out how much not only the 'big bosses' got paid, but also the guy in charge of my team, put it this way, he'd left an extremely well paid job in the NHS to work for the Red Cross, so that speaks volumes.

As regards giving to charities, I'm always skeptical regarding figures they quote, there used to be an advert for a certain charity helping kids in Africa, it said something like 8000 kids an hour were dying due to lack of food and clean water, blimey at that rate there should be nobody left in a couple of months, so how fast were they breeding?

A  lot of what gets donated never makes it to the people who need it, there was a documentary on tv a while back and this charity was taking food to one of the African countries, they'd aqquired 3 brand new landrovers, not defenders, but fancy ones, anyway, they ended up with one for the job, apparently some guy who ran the country wanted one and so di one of his ministers, it was a case of, 'give us the motors or we won't let you bring the food in', there's loads of corruption in these little tin pot countries.

I will help anyone, but I'd rather give my time than my money, at least I can see what my time is being spent on.

there's loads of corruption in these little tin pot countries.
Don't need to look that far

A VERY large Fire and Rescue Department to the north of this Island had some 'unsuitable and recently purchased' Range Rovers for disposal.  They didn't have to do much advertising as they were all bought by the Brigade leaders at very competitive prices, very very competitive.....allegedly

it's fair to say charities do need to spend money on admin, advertising and the like. It could also be argued that the CEOs of some of these very large organisations are underpaid when compared to the likes of University / businesses / any other large organisation and you need to attract talent to run a large outfit. However, you just can't help feel that if you work for a charity, you shouldn't be looking to earn big bucks.

slightly off topic, but DiY SOS were in ny area last year and did several houses near me. I was tempted to get involved, until it occurred to me that the TV presenters / stars would be getting lots of money whilst I earned nothing! 

slightly off topic, but DiY SOS were in ny area last year and did several houses near me. I was tempted to get involved, until it occurred to me that the TV presenters / stars would be getting lots of money whilst I earned nothing! 
And Billy the spark,would be micro managing you

i was asked years ago just as this twaddle was starting. Told them to move away in short jerky movements

I’m just amazed that it takes ‘paying’ someone a small fortune for them to want to do good :C  If you can’t do it from the heart then don’t do it at all. 
Hypocrites the lot of them. 

Looking at those CE salaries I have to wonder just how large and expensive is their salaried management structure. 

All of these are living off the public donations which we like to think are supporting the efforts of the unpaid volunteers at the coal face.

I am trying to find the salaries of the top people at Certsure /niceic/electrical,safety first etc.....no success so,far

charity begins at home, their home!
Not sure you’ll find it.

I have looked in the past and it’s all smoke and mirrors.

a charity needs to have public accounts with no hidden details - so a single organisation with no links or financial ties outside ......