How much to charge for EICR ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly put a price in excess of £42,000 for inspections. Though for some it is more around the 3K mark.

I have just done an install where the most recent results showed one circuit has unidentified! It took myself about 30 seconds to find it and isolate it.

£42,000 ??? that should be £4,200, fat fingers or intoxicated when I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was just an EICR under BS 7671.

6 off 18 way 3 ph DB's no circuit labelling what so ever anywhere.

Install was never finished from new, and the premises had, had a fire before out I&T.

Suggested to the client it was gioppoing to be £k's not hundreds.

Went away to finalise the price.

Got a tel call the following day, to tell me not to bother pricing it up as they had someone cheaper.

So, I said fine, OK, it's up to you.

So some muppet is putting their name to something that will not be right, good luck to them.

I won't do it.

I will find out who has the job, and, there are things afoot to land the client in trouble with their insurance company to teach them a lesson.

Trouble is for them, the insurance company may well put them out of business following the report we do, if we get the chance, and, you know what, I will still sleep soundly at night, especially, if the contractor who has taken on the work and under priced it to do a rubbish job gets put out of business too.

I will find out who has the job, and, there are things afoot to land the client in trouble with their insurance company to teach them a lesson.

Trouble is for them, the insurance company may well put them out of business following the report we do, if we get the chance, and, you know what, I will still sleep soundly at night, especially, if the contractor who has taken on the work and under priced it to do a rubbish job gets put out of business too.
a bit sour grapes 

you lost the job on price just move on to the next, it has nothing more to do with you 

a bit sour grapes

you lost the job on price just move on to the next, it has nothing more to do with you
Not quite.You don't have the full story, I can't post it all on here, it does still have something to do with us, due to the way that we were introduced to the potential client.

The site is downright dangerous.

In fact, I have almost certainly broken the rules of my professional registration in having done nothing about it formally.

We didn't "loose" the job on price, per se.

Didn't even quote it, just explained to them what needed doing to simply inspect it, and they obviously didn't like it.

I think sidewinder exists in another world to the rest of us a harsher place which turned the grapes sour...
Not quite BD, I didn't really have the time for the work, however, it was, the way, that the enquiry came in, is, why, things are not quite over as yet.Two companies looked over the job due to it's nature, we both came to the same conclusion.

I have reported back to the person who requested we contact the end client, so we will see what happens, anything further will be up to them, the brokers, HSE etc. perhaps.

I had a similar episode some years ago, I was contacted by the insurance company who I had been recommended to by a British Gas fraud investigator.

My report was very detailed, and very condemning. I was not asked to quote for the works, but was asked for a ball park figure that the insurance company would expect to pay.

Three companies quoted for the works and the contract was given to the lowest quote. However the owner of the property managed to persuade the insurance company to pay out to himself and not the contractor.You can guess what happened!

All was well until the company had to renew the insurance policy, I was again contacted because an investigator at the insurance company was not satisfied with what he thought was a bogus installation certificate. I was at first refused entry to the site, this quickly changed when the insurance company gave them 24 hours to comply or they would withdraw all insurances, which effectively meant that he would be registered has having insurance refused and will not be in a position to trade.

The short story is that the owner was prosecuted, along with the trader who did the substandard remedial works. The owner pocketed around £20,000 of the insurance payout rather than pay the full amount required to do the necessary works.

Over half of the machines were unfit to use, 20% of them being so dangerous that they were disconnected from service. The workers were placed in direct danger of electrocution or machine failure of safety devises. Adjustable thermal cut-outs were fitted off the shelf without being set for the machines, safety guard actuator buttons were not wired to the fail safe shut-off system, this meant that the operators could operate the machines without the guards in place.

The dust extraction system  carried a ac voltage of 120v during operation on all exposed metallic parts.

The place was a death trap, and it was only a matter of time. The owner closed the business, only to restart a week later. He now has only about 6 staff, and as far as I know still flouts all the safety rules.

Latest posts