How to connect...??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazza2

Reaction score
Hi, Im installing a telephone line in a house and all I have is a black telephone cable coming through the bedroom window which was chopped off when they moved in.

Im assuming I need a telephone junction box to extend the cable to the required position.

Does anyone know how to connect this to my 2 pair cable?

The black cable has 3 reds, 1 black, 1 green, 1 orange and 1 white cable.

Thanks

Hi, Im installing a telephone line in a house and all I have is a black telephone cable coming through the bedroom window which was chopped off when they moved in.

Im assuming I need a telephone junction box to extend the cable to the required position.

Does anyone know how to connect this to my 2 pair cable?

The black cable has 3 reds, 1 black, 1 green, 1 orange and 1 white cable.

Thanks

Hi

The 3 reds are not conductors, you have a 2 pair drop wire, try orange and white on to a master socket 2 and 5.

It should really be connected onto a Line box A and B

:innocent

Hi

The 3 reds are not conductors, you have a 2 pair drop wire, try orange and white on to a master socket 2 and 5.

It should really be connected onto a Line box A and B

:innocent

the 3 reds are 'strainer' wires....coated steel usually. used instead of running sperate catenary.

white / orange usually the incoming pair. try putting a voltmeter across them. should get about 50 V . connect these to 2 and 5 in a master socket. plug in phone. ring 17070....listen to ANNI, she will tell you the number you are calling from. then press 1 and hang-up. she will ring you back and this confirms the outgoing and incoming pathways.

after all that your line is probably 'diss'd ' anyway.

the 3 reds are 'strainer' wires....coated steel usually. used instead of running sperate catenary.

white / orange usually the incoming pair. try putting a voltmeter across them. should get about 50 V . connect these to 2 and 5 in a master socket. plug in phone. ring 17070....listen to ANNI, she will tell you the number you are calling from. then press 1 and hang-up. she will ring you back and this confirms the outgoing and incoming pathways.

the 3 reds are 'strainer' wires....coated steel usually. used instead of running sperate catenary.white / orange usually the incoming pair. try putting a voltmeter across them. should get about 50 V . connect these to 2 and 5 in a master socket. plug in phone. ring 17070....listen to ANNI, she will tell you the number you are calling from. then press 1 and hang-up. she will ring you back and this confirms the outgoing and incoming pathways.

Just rang that number as didnt know it existed, can you explain the different options - fast test, quiet line, cleanse?

the 3 reds are 'strainer' wires....coated steel usually. used instead of running sperate catenary.white / orange usually the incoming pair. try putting a voltmeter across them. should get about 50 V . connect these to 2 and 5 in a master socket. plug in phone. ring 17070....listen to ANNI, she will tell you the number you are calling from. then press 1 and hang-up. she will ring you back and this confirms the outgoing and incoming pathways.

Just rang that number as didnt know it existed, can you explain the different options - fast test, quiet line, cleanse?

Ah, the secret number:)

most of the options are not open to you if you have the new exchanges. it requires a BT issue mobile number and job ref. results are then sent to the mobile.

quiet line...lets you listen for interference on the line

fast cleanse...runs some secret nano-technology that somehow 'clears the carp' on the line

fast test...a few options. one puts a tracer tone on the line, another tells you distance to 'cabinet' or d.p. also runs a test on the A and B lines and tells you of faults, battery faults, earth faults etc and tries to clear them for you.

it used to be far better before the 'results to mobile' setup....p.i.t.f.a. now:run

Ah, the secret number:)

most of the options are not open to you if you have the new exchanges. it requires a BT issue mobile number and job ref. results are then sent to the mobile.

quiet line...lets you listen for interference on the line

fast cleanse...runs some secret nano-technology that somehow 'clears the carp' on the line

fast test...a few options. one puts a tracer tone on the line, another tells you distance to 'cabinet' or d.p. also runs a test on the A and B lines and tells you of faults, battery faults, earth faults etc and tries to clear them for you.

it used to be far better before the 'results to mobile' setup....p.i.t.f.a. now:run

If you are unsure which pairs to use, and don't have a meter to hand, i.e., your up a ladder, If you know the number for the line, ring it, and short out the pairs. When you short the line for the number the line will go dead. (The 'ring ring' you hear on your mobile will stop.)