how to have dedicated test s/o for caliberation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miran clarence

Reaction score
hi guys any advice is appriciated for my niceic assesment

qusetions

1)i have downloaded the test forms from the cal card website. in this forms they got insulation continity rcd and zs.

on the rcd colum under 1/2 times it got 0 /180 ,,, normaly when we carry out a rcd test @ 1/2 times its 1999, i dont understand this 2 colums.

2)the meter im using is a megga 1553 ,it got the no trip function for zs testing on s/o,but on the niceic leflet it says you have to have dedicated s/o for testing and it should be a non rcd protected s/o.

)i got the no trip function on the meter,,,,,but y should i a have non rcd s/o out let i dont understand

all the circuits on this bord is rcd protected therfore can i do the zs and rcd test on this choosen s/o .or am i wrong ,bcoz niceic have stated the s/o has to be from a non rcd protected circuite.

correct me if im wrong cant messs up my assesment ,,,please guide me on this cheers.

Hi,

First part of your question, the 0/180 is referring to the fact that you have to carry out all the rcd tests, 1/2x 1x and 5x twice, once on the one half cycle, and once on the other half cycle, so 6 tests in all......

Obviously the times you use as your "test result" are the slowest of the two..

I do not understand the rest of your question really, but from what i think you mean, if this is all to do with you being assessed to join a scheme, then they can obviously only test you on the installation that is "there" the one you installed. If there are no, "no rcd" socket outlets, then they can hardly test you on one...

john...

The dedicaated socket outlet is any socket outlet of your chosing, and is the one that you test each time to get your RCD trip times, and Zs readings. The reference to non RCD socket outlets is an old practice for when most loop tests would trip the RCD.

This is all to do with your meter calibration check,,,, you are not really checking it's calibration, you are checking that it gives repeatable and consistent readings.

The tests that we generally check are Zs, resistance, insulation and RCD

Now to test Zs you will need a non RCD socket, to test resistance and insulation you will need a cal card or a set of appropriate resistors,,, And to test RCD you can either have a RCD protected socket or use a plugin RCD adaptor.

What your assessor will want to see are your recorded readings for these tests,,, you will have to start off with a known calibrated instrument though or you could be checking a bust meter and you wouldn't know

Now,, so you don't worry too much,, when you are testing resistance, say with a 100ohms resistor, your meter won't show 100ohms... Low tolerance resistors could be anything upto 10% out and your meter also has a tolerance wich could also be say 10%,,,,, so theoretically your meter could read 91ohms,, but as your meter has been recently calibrated you assume (for this initial check) that it's ok... all the subsequent checks at 100ohms should give you a 91(ish)ohms reading.

If any of the results that you get drift from your previously consistent results then something is wrong - either your meter or your calcard!

When checking the RCD function we do 1x @0 deg, 1x @180 deg, 5x @0 deg, 5x @180 deg, ramp, manual test and then the 1/2x test..... On the Megger 15xx you select the leading/trailing edge test with the blue button

HTH

cheers john for the reply ,,i ment was the installation im showing is in ma house but the consumer unit is and 17th ed split load consumer unit.means all the circuits are rcd protected

1)to do the zs test..? can i use a rcd protected s/o./

2 and on my meter if i select the no trip function can i carry out the zs test,

re:question ,

if i have the no trip function on my meter(meega 1553) i donnot need to have a non rcd protected s/o for the zs test.

correct me if i am wrong

cheers clarence

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:15 ----------

cheers guys for the replys,,,,