HV verses LV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much "HV"?

We are fed from a 11KV overhead (via a pole mounted transformer) but a short way up the road there is a 205KV over the 11KV. It could be "interesting" if the 205KV came down on the 11KV

P.S it would not have happened if it had been one of them new metal CU thingies. :run

It was the weather and talking to Western power it was a 33 kV line onto a 230v line it was on a holiday chalet park in Cornwall .first call I had was for a power cut when I attended   I noticed damaged Meter  which I reported to the dno  before I could leave I was called to several others with same fault .I informed the dno not to just re energise the system until all the chalets were checked. It wasn't until I showed them the photos that they agreed not to reconnect .looks like they are in for a long night  

The site maintance guy was first to attend to down cable and went and used a neon screwdriver to test if it was still live .if that cable went into automatic reconnect I shudder to think what would of happened to his screwdriver

The site maintance guy was first to attend to down cable and went and used a neon screwdriver to test if it was still live .if that cable went into automatic reconnect I shudder to think what would of happened to his screwdriver
Luckily for him most 33Kv are not on auto reclosers, otherwise he wouldn't have needed to be touching it, saying that I remember attending one job where an overhead line had come down and it had only blown 2 out of the 3 pole mount fuses, there was this cable lying at the side of what was normally a busy main road, and it was still live! It was fortunate that it was the early hours of the morning and nobody was around, it was only fused at 16A. mind you if you work out the calculation, 16A at 11 Kv equates to a fair amount on the other side of the TX at 415V.

Latest posts