I had the misfortune to take the cover off this CU today ......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of it is MI, imperial sized through probable metric entries. They should have at least fitted earth washers on them. The right side upper cable does not incorporate a cpc.

The right side upper cable doesn't have a CPC but it looks like that doorbell tx has a separate multistranded wire CPC going to it.
Is that a self-drilling screw penetrating the base of the CU and nearly hitting the busbar?

so I was thinking single upfront rcd
micc mainly so cover used as cpc
g/y used to mark lives
too much copper on show
left hand mic damaged insulation

very poor workmanship …..

the screw is an optical illusion - it’s well behind the busbar

Lack of a main earth conductor?
Neutral supply lead to RCD looks like it's twisted and not screwed into neutral bar correctly?

I'm presuming ( probably wrongly ) that the op is working on something in that board or doing an eicr. Hence he will have to deal or note it.

Hum

Assessing a job but even if I was doing an EICR there are no C1’s so my only obligation is to deliver a proper EICR with C2’s

It’s the home owners responsibility to act on the report

The main cpc to the DB is the sheath of an MI cable but it has no cpc from the gland to the earth bar.

The main cpc to the DB is the sheath of an MI cable but it has no cpc from the gland to the earth bar
It was not needed when this MICC was installed, we used to do the glands up tight enough that we did not need an extra an CPC, a bit like using conduit as a CPC

No earthing lead, No bonding, etc
It might not be needed it depends how good the continuity to the incoming gland is
This has been done by an industrial maintenance sparky who has worked with MICC but no clue about IEE regs
Looking at it I doubt whoever did it has worked with MICC looking at the way the lower MICC cables enter the bottom of the CU with tight bends in the conductors
Bare MI is a lot easier to rework than PVC covered and with a bit of fore thought and patience those cables could have been moved further back to avoid the tight bends under the MCB busbar
I did a lot of board changes involving MI upto 20 or so years ago and none of them looked as rough as that one when finished

This has been done by an industrial maintenance sparky who has worked with MICC but no clue about IEE regs
All electricians work to the same IEE Regs, whether it's house bashing or doing real electrical work, - Industrial electricians have lots of other regs they have to follow as well as the IEE ones,