Id At Scrap Yards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
I took my scrap in today but today they said i need photo ID.  I have been in many times were they have my reg number on file which then brings up my name and address etc,  but now they want to scan my passport as well.

What i think is odd,  is in an age of data protection,  i seem to be forced to hand over a hell of a lot of data these days.

place where Im registered want my DL EVERY time I weigh in,

the laugh is, the reg number they have for me was 2 vans ago,  , figure that out   :C

If i want to gather information on people i dont need to rifle through bins,  i just need to work at a scrap yard.

Mrs Noz took some in for me today,,, account is in my name with my vans reg no..

No problem, they took it in and paid it into my account (the one that's registered with them) no problem,,, I doubt that they would have paid out by cheque or allowed her to change the account number

Mrs Noz took some in for me today,,, account is in my name with my vans reg no..

No problem, they took it in and paid it into my account (the one that's registered with them) no problem,,, I doubt that they would have paid out by cheque or allowed her to change the account number
is that a good idea?

see, I never have any scrap,

I simply throw it away, if my wife happens to pick it back out of the bin and take it to the scrappies and gets it paid into her account then that is nothing to do with my income,  :|

I went last week , they weigh you in , hand a ticket with weight & price on to present at their office over the road .   

They then ask for ID  ( bearing in mind your copper has now disapeared into a giant skip )    I proffered a letterhead which was accepted . Paid by cheque.

Noticed on leaving they have a cheque cashing service which I didn't use. 

Last edited by a moderator:
the 'wife' uses EMR

once registered she has a little key fob thing with a barcode on it,

weigh in and they scan the barcode, go to payout window with your weigh in ticket, sign the docket and money is in the bank the next day,

I think for 5 [?] % its an instant transfer, they have the same cheque facility if you dont have a bank account.

The last time I used a scrappy, they came to my home! They didn't ask for my ID!
but did they pay you?!?!?!?!?!

we have the pikeys round every monday morning,

I often leave stuff out for them, its really not worth the hassle to me for all the other old bits of scrap I accumulate to weigh it in.

I left a load of stuff out once in a metal bin, with a note saying 'please leave the bin' , not expecting they would,

but hey ho, the bin was left!  :eek:

goes to show, they know when they are on a good thing too sometimes,  :)