******* immersion heater change.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be cheaper or the customer to buy..

8 fast boil electric kettles..

use them for the weeks until the combi is fitted..

put a 13a temp socket on the Imm Heat circuit

3 kettles per ring main...

1 in the cooker circuit socket..

1 in the Imm heat temp socket..

should be able to run them all without poppin any fuses....

if each kettle can heat 2ltrs...

you have 16ltrs nice hot water!!!

Job dun!!!

and the bonus..

they can sell the kettles later on e-bay..

as bargain kettles only 1 month old!

:) :) :) :D :D:D:D:D

I have a plumber friend who swares by heat for a couple of minutes then using a box spanner a sharp tap with a hammer to break the seal. His theory is a shart tap is more likely to break the seal than constant force which he thinks is more likely to crease the cylinder. :S

I've never done it so I don't know! :D

Special - you da man. I`m going to suggest that to the customer tomorrow morning. ;) :x

erm - except that I don`t stand to make as much money:_|

Apache:

Your plumbit friend is correct, in that a tap is better than a strain. I`m probably going to go with the "scrape away at the gasket, with a stanley, then spray it with plus-gas, wd40 or napalm.

We`ll see what happens. ( I need a "fingers crossed" smiley)

Special - you da man. I`m going to suggest that to the customer tomorrow morning. ;) :x erm - except that I don`t stand to make as much money:_|

Apache:

Your plumbit friend is correct, in that a tap is better than a strain. I`m probably going to go with the "scrape away at the gasket, with a stanley, then spray it with plus-gas, wd40 or napalm.

We`ll see what happens. ( I need a "fingers crossed" smiley)
Consider our fingers crossed for you SIR! ;) :D

legs crossed and anything else that can be crossed will be crossed for you!! :) :D :x

oh... that... ; \ :eek:

that will need to be tied in a knot... :( :_| cuz I cant cross that bit!! :^O

:eek: ] :)

Maybe you could be "cross" with it? hmmmmmmmm] :) ]:)

It may have to sit on the naughty chair, or something:O;) :D

(Just what are we talking about, anyway mate?)

(i`m sweet & innocent, me) :x

:eek: ] :) Maybe you could be "cross" with it? hmmmmmmmm] :) ]:)

It may have to sit on the naughty chair, or something:O;) :D

(Just what are we talking about, anyway mate?)

(i`m sweet & innocent, me) :x
go and ask Ad2?

thats probably best?

Cuz I aint got a clue...

I lost track when I came back from hols..

just after......

Hello everybodyI am a new aspiring spark and so have tons of questions, no doubt most of which will seem stupid to experienced guys but hey we all have to start somewhere.

I look forward to converseing with you all.
??????????????????????????????? ?:| :p ? :| :p :eek: :O

:p :p:p:| :| :_| :_| :_| :_|

K:p

Brain`s going numb (er) now, so I shall bid you all a fond farewell & goodnight; and go rest my weary body, in readiness for the toils & tribulations which await me later today.

Night all. :x

(And don`t stay up half the night - YOU know who you are!!!!!!) ]:) :eek: :^O:^O

K:pBrain`s going numb (er) now, so I shall bid you all a fond farewell & goodnight; and go rest my weary body, in readiness for the toils & tribulations which await me later today.

Night all. :x

(And don`t stay up half the night - YOU know who you are!!!!!!) ]:) :eek: :^O:^O
G-night Bud! ;) :D

Quote:Originally Posted by Moonpig

Hello everybody

I am a new aspiring spark and so have tons of questions, no doubt most of which will seem stupid to experienced guys but hey we all have to start somewhere.

I look forward to converseing with you all.

???????????????????????????????
Now what seems to be your bogle specs? :| ;)

Now what seems to be your bogle specs? :| ;)
bogle??????

just picked a random post....

and as names such as..

moonpig or tea-cosy-peat seam to stickout out in a slightly intoxicted brain then there you go..

Bobs your uncle...

Claire is your aunt..

Eric is your brother in law..

Sheila is your sister...

Basil is your cousin...

Sarah is that nice girl who works at the newsagents..

and Barry is the binman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^O :^O;) :p :p:p:_| :_| ]:)

bogle??????just picked a random post....

and as names such as..

moonpig or tea-cosy-peat seam to stickout out in a slightly intoxicted brain then there you go..

Bobs your uncle...

Claire is your aunt..

Eric is your brother in law..

Sheila is your sister...

Basil is your cousin...

Sarah is that nice girl who works at the newsagents..

and Barry is the binman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^O :^O;) :p :p:p:_| :_| ]:)
You make a compelling point my good man;) :D :^O

KME

the other thing i forgot to say was when i change them i have a piece of of galvanised pipe about 2 foot long which i fit on the end of my box spanner so i can gently ease them. This way you have more control and don't strain yourself. If you can't get stanley blade in use a short saw but cut at immersion side of gasket so you don' damage tank. I have done a lot of immersions. The only one i had trouble with had already been leaking and needed changing anyway. Just point out the risks to the customer and good luck. If the immersion is in the top of the tank you only need to turn off water feed to tank and turn hot taps in bathroom and downstairs when water stops comming coming out it is safe to take immersion out. I always turn of all valves to be on safe side.

batty

Okay guys - update (as promised).......................

Gets to job, and spent about 90 mins cleaning off the gasket.....wd40, stanley blade, wd40, hacksaw blade, wd40, sharp screwdriver etc.

Fits box spanner - WHACK.....................nowt!

More wd40 - no gasket left to scrape out.

WHACK.........tank bends.

KME wimps at this point - don`t fancy 125 litres of water in the lounge!!!

Customer DESPERATE for hot water - Can I get & fit a new cylinder ( bearing in mind, now, they want to fit a combi in 4 weeks or so)

Price cheapest cyl: