Immersion heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this crop up before ??

Brother in law was fretting about his heater making a noise so I go round.

Turn the heater on , immediate noise just like a kettle heating up , says it didn't do it before.

Its a year old , bottom of cylinder c/w safety trip. 3KW on a 1.00mm flex ( changed it before I went) So , clip-on ammeter says 11A , element res. 18ohms . meggered clear to earth . RCD in board not tripping . B,ham is soft water area and Imm.Htrs tend to last a decent time.

So...... why is it making a kettle noise and why is it immediate? Any ideas?

I had this kind of thing a while ago..

It's because the water around the element is almost boiling, shouldn't do it from cold though!

I had a post on hear about it IIRC

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:08 ----------

Mine was with a brand new element BTW

My Immersion Heater does this whenever it is switched on. Since we had a new cylinder and element a few years back. Can offer no explanation though. I just thought it was the water heating up.

Well , he says it didn't do it before but may not have noticed it TBH. Seems funny that its immediate , although water is quite warm already. This is a new cylinder and htr.

Funny, I never noticed it at first but I always do now. Never had any problems with it though so I don't see any harm. Unless of course it is the water boiling and then we should be afraid!

I've come to the conclusion that its only been noticed now, because in both mine and EE's case, the noise has only been detected after a new element was fitted, that this is so because the old element was probably scaled up (definatley in my case) and so the water wouldn't have been heating at the same temperature as the scale reduces its operational capacity

Correct me if i'm wrong - still learning !!

Where I live, it's very soft water and all the immersion heaters sound like that. The temperature of the element is probably well over 100 degs until the thermostat switches it off. As Jamesey said, once the element furs up, the contact temperature with the water will probably drop below boiling point.

Cheers. Chris

Kettling is caused by scale on the surface of the heater. It only takes a few thou thickness of scale for this to start up. The scale reduces the heat transfer from the heater to the water and raises the surface temperature of the heater. the noise is tiny amounts of water boiling and then the bubble collapsing again as soon as it leaves the surface.

Try one of these:

XS11S Low Noise Immersion Heaters

I have had this problem a couple of times, its caused by scale building upon the element. If you change the element the problem will be solved for a while anyway.

Ian