industrial lighting question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
hi guys

I am looking at a recycling plant rewire can anyone tell me the recommended light levels for a workspace with a forklift and machinery. also what light output per watt can i expect from fluorescent tubes?

Also do the said tubes qualify as low energy as regards Building control?

IF you are serious about getting the lux levels correct, which if you are acting as the designer under CDM, then you have a legal liability to. Unless you have the relevant competence, get your wholesaler to get the fitting manuf' to sort it for free.

IF you are serious about getting the lux levels correct, which if you are acting as the designer under CDM, then you have a legal liability to. Unless you have the relevant competence, get your wholesaler to get the fitting manuf' to sort it for free.
I agree, but (in fact BUT!) I would read up on it yourself so that you can challenge the fool the lighting manufacturers send. In my experience his priority wll be commission rather the solution.

Riggy,

You are probably correct, but, unless you are competent to undertake the works, you have unfortunately to "pass the buck".

IF you are doing this work then you must have more than a passing idea of what is required, even if you are contracting to a 3rd party, else how can you comply with the selection of competent contractors requirements in statutory legislation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riggy,You are probably correct, but, unless you are competent to undertake the works, you have unfortunately to "pass the buck".

IF you are doing this work then you should ahve more than a passing idea of what is required even if you are contracting to a 3rd party else how can you comply with the selection of competent contractors requirements in statutory legislation.
Not arguing, pass the buck definitely, but also remember that your customer will hold you responsible. For their sake make sure the jumped up salesman knows his onions - because in my experience they know Jack S**t other than what generates them most commission, and as they will be selling washing machines next month they aren't too concerned about liability under CDM (like they'd know what CDM stands for) - am I getting cynical in my old age?

Riggy,

Not arguing either!

Some salesmen do have to be competent designers, when I did a sales job, I had to do the full design of the system myself, and it was a bit more complex than a ring main let me assure you.

However, you are basically correct.

Also the sales rep should not be doing the design, hence my comment about selection of competent contractors.

I had to undergo significant product training before I was allowed loose to spec up systems!

As far as CDM goes they have a personal legal responsibility as do "you" if you sub to them and also under several different pieces of statutory legislation.

I look at it this way, I am not a lighting designer, which is why I posted this thread. But surely if the design meets with HSE spec for the workspace and the nature of the work, and allowing a margin of error the generous side, then where is the problem. This not an enormous workspace (7m x 9m).

I have a tendency not to trust salespeople as they have their own agenda

but i will seek advice from anywhere I can. anyone know of any good sources?