Installing Downlights?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazza2

Reaction score
Can anyone give some advice on installing downlights please.

Once all the holes are cut, do you lift floor boards above so you can get cables through joists?

ideally get above to wire, but if you want, then youll have to chase the ceiling. very messy. and its best to take board up first to check locations are adequate

Thanks.

Do they need fire protection or a guard?

The ones they have bought are 230v IP20 rated downlights.

Depending on which way the joists are running, you could fish the cables from one to another. Of course this can be difficult with insulation etc. I often find a piece of trunking lid is ideal for this.

Best thing to do is lift the boards above, to get a proper look at the situation, that way you can fit fire hoods (if required) and route the cables properly.

So a normal 3 bed house doesnt need the protection?

What about insulation? Can that not catch alight?

insulation is not normally flammable (unless its polystyrene beads etc), but you need to maintain a safe distance between DL & insulation, or light will got too hot

Not specific related to downlights, but may regs relate to installation of equipment & luminaires in general

The Electricians guide to the building Regs gives some useful advice also.

a1 spark

Cheers.

Can IP20 rated downlights go in kitchen? (doesnt have a symbol to say fire rated)

ALso, if they are double insulated would you still take an earth or just use 2 core?

Cheers.Can IP20 rated downlights go in kitchen? (doesnt have a symbol to say fire rated)

think your supposed to run a cpc and put it into a connector block obviously sleeved. Or how can you take your r1 + r2 mate. Cheers

ALso, if they are double insulated would you still take an earth or just use 2 core?
typed reply in middle of your quote sorry couldn't move it as used phone cheers

even if the light fittings are class 2, you still need to run an earth in the cable if 230volt to protect the cable (C.P.C) so you cant use 2 core

Worst one I did was some kitchen downlights. All looked straightforward, floorboards upstairs so should be no problem.

Until I actually lifted the floorboards, then found the kitchen used to be a flat roofed single storey building onto which another bedroom had been built. Underneath the nice floorboards was bitumen impregnated chipboard roof panels that I had to cut through in several places to run the cables for the downlights. Miserable job.