Installing spotlights.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi guys.

when doing spots / downlights in a living room and you can't get access under the floor boards above, how do you guys go a bout installing them?

How do you miss or even pass through joists?

Got 12 to fit, 4 rows of 3, exisitng cileing rose in centre of room. They are mains 230v, but due to only having a commercial background and still being a trainee, I am unsure on where to begin with the install.

My circuit knowledge is sound, it is my install and practical skills in a domestic enviroment i need help with.

The guy i work with is lets just say useless at advising me, so all you knowlege and help is much appreciated.

I know the more experienced guys on here may be p@@@ed off with this sort of post but i genuinely need some guidance. I am not thick just after some sound advice please.

I have never done spots before! But got to learn somewhere, so my dads house is the perfect practice place!!!!! ;)

Thanks as always

Craig

why can you not access the floor above? Unfortunately unless all your spotlights and the point of connection are within the same space between joists then you will have to make a mess of the ceiling. You may be lucky and be able to 'fish' cables to where you want them. Are the lights flush or mounted on a bar?

Only real way is by butchering the ceiling, cut out your intended holes, then use your cable roads to find the nearest joist, then cut out the board underneath it.

If huge holes are ok, then drill the joist, if only small then notch it.

use the largest holesaw you have and cut out your route, keep the cut outs then screw them back and patch up.

Fish to the side of the room from between each hole you have and then notch in the corners. Keeps the cables in prescribed routes and is more unlikely to stick out than a row of filler down the middle of the room x2

Thanks for all the advice guys, the spots are all going to be flush.

I was thinking of notching the joists.

So a bit of ceiling demo may be in order.

Can't get under the floor above as all wooden floors above and do not fancy trying to take it up without breaking it and then re-laying it, i can imagine it to be a nightmare.

Craig

Take a lump hammer to the ceiling take some squares out

OR

AS lutch says

Run the length of the joist drop from he ceiling in the corner keep in ure top safe zone, then pop back into the ceiling where needed.

There the 2 options really.

I wouldn't notch the joists personally, as not very sensible and safe in my personal opinion.

as long as the cct is on an RCD I dont see why not use notches, you would need a big hole in the ceiling to get a drill in to the joists.
Not with a Long flat wood bit you wouldn't. Depending on hole saw size you might get it through that, or a 2cm line down the ceiling.

See here

and here

My attitude though is if your going to do a job, do it properly (not aimed at sparks or people on forum)

I mean in general.

notches are an acceptable form though according to the book, and say a 10mm deep notch doesn't reduce joist strength as much as a 20mm hole.

I always cover the notch though with metal capping bent over. Holds the cable in place, and to be fair there is no risk of a DIYer nailing into the ceiling really.

notches are an acceptable form though according to the book, and say a 10mm deep notch doesn't reduce joist strength as much as a 20mm hole.I always cover the notch though with metal capping bent over. Holds the cable in place, and to be fair there is no risk of a DIYer nailing into the ceiling really.
prob no chance of being nailed and rcd will add protection but dose'nt it say in regs that its got to be mechanically protected

But if you notch under the joists down the middle of the room the chances are you'll always see the line of patched up notches.

Metal capping really just to keep it in place, bit of a downside compared to drilling the joist (which I would always do in preference to notching where possible).

Easier to blame to plasterer for the visibility though!

Hi guys.I know the more experienced guys on here may be p@@@ed off with this sort of post but i genuinely need some guidance.

I have never done spots before! But got to learn somewhere, so my dads house is the perfect practice place!!!!! ;)

Craig
No we won't, Hoppy, thats why its a "Forum with a difference"

Deke