insulation resistance is down...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn`t this be in the "student & trainee" dept. ?????
It could be argued between the two forums, but I am inclined to think you are correct KME. With no disrespect to Thomas123 the original questions asked would imply someone who is still learning the basic underpinning knowledge for Inspection & Testing and few of the later points appear to confirm this stance. I am sure these points are covered in 2391.

Doc H.

Hi guys,I need some help, im doing a periodic on a building and when carrying out an insulation resistance test line to earth it reads as 0 on every circuit i tested, the circuits have neons and fluorecent fittings connected hence why i did line to earth. its doubtful that every circuit is down right? its wired in pvc/pvc singles.

Any ideas what i could be?
'O' Zero what?

ohms

Megohms

MPH?

if you mean 0.0Meg ohms......

Then I would have guessed that most competent sparks would then have a look on low resistance ohms scale...

So as to ascertain most likely culprits...

i.e.

0.0Meg ohms

could be 99,999.0ohms? AKA 99kohms..

The actual low Resistance value would give a fair idea of likely culprits

You haven't told us which circuit conductors, if any, have been removed from the CU while testing?

how would it make a difference? line to earth is still down.... by connecting line to neutral and then testing them to earth it would not make any difference.. out of my depth andy? you dont know me so you cant make that judgment..

just read my testing book, 2391 practical guide by christopher kitcher, i knew i was right.. it says that you can test live conductors to earth seperately...
if you test L to E, but have a dead short N-E, then you have 500V between L&N. which is why you short L-N, to make sure there cant be a voltage there to fry anything.

and yes, you do seem to be way out of your depth. i may not know you, but your posts dont exactly fill people with confidence that you know what your doing.

and you know your right because some other book says so? i doubt it. but you obviosuly dont care what others are trying to tell you. so dont moan about it when you damage something through your incompetence.