Inverter not powering on at all

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin welsh

Reaction score
I have a dual supply system, 16 x latso panels rated at 365W to my growatt 2000 inverter. My inverter is now not powering on at all so far I've done the following

've measured DC voltage from my panels to idolator with isolator turned off DC supply at time was 235v to isolator, 0v to inverter. Then isolator switched on my DC voltage drops from panels to isolator 28v and DC supply to inverter 28v, then AC supply is constant at 240v

No lights at all, when I touch the screen it does even come on.,
sounds like a dead inverter, even if you lost the AC side, it would still work off the DC side as the inverter takes it's power from the panels, not the AC connection. Warranty is usually 5 years, so make a complaint to Growatt.

sounds like a dead inverter, even if you lost the AC side, it would still work off the DC side as the inverter takes it's power from the panels, not the AC connection. Warranty is usually 5 years, so make a complaint to Growatt.
Inverter states it needs 70v to start up, I'm guessing this is 70dc, I'm only getting 30v when DC isolator is switched on but if I switch the DC isolator off I'm measuring 230v DC on the infeed to isolator from panels

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230901-172351~2.png
    Screenshot_20230901-172351~2.png
    62 KB · Views: 0
The other possibility is a burnt out connection on the roof. Have a read through the manual to see if there's a way of forcing start up of the inverter from standby by mode, on mine it's called night mode, but mines a different make, and I'm not sure GroWatt have that function. That would prove if the inverter is actually working or not and confirm if you need to inspect the roof.

If the fault is on the roof, it's usually at the ends if the strings where whoever installed the DC cable runs to the panels has installed an MC4 connector. The panel mc4s are factory fitted, and don't tend to be a problem.

The other possibility is a burnt out connection on the roof. Have a read through the manual to see if there's a way of forcing start up of the inverter from standby by mode, on mine it's called night mode, but mines a different make, and I'm not sure GroWatt have that function. That would prove if the inverter is actually working or not and confirm if you need to inspect the roof.

If the fault is on the roof, it's usually at the ends if the strings where whoever installed the DC cable runs to the panels has installed an MC4 connector. The panel mc4s are factory fitted, and don't tend to be a problem.
Would like cause a voltage drop though, as it's reading 230v DC on isolator when switched off at rotary switch before inverter then soon as I switch the rotary switch on for DC power to inverter the voltage goes from 230 to 30v on both connections on isolator

Think of it like bleeding your radiators , you have 1 bar pressure in the heating system, then you open the bleed valve, you get a spurt of pressure then ****** all, and a mere trickle.