Is An Isolator In A Shower/bath Area Acceptable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been looking at the dimensions of zones;  Wozz pointed

out that the 2.25 metre dimension is from FFL.  But the arrow

in the drawing does not QUITE REACH the floor.  It stops short

and I suppose, an extension line should have been included IF

the dimension was intended to start from the level of the tray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adammid;  WHY are Special Locations given that specific description?

It is because the hazard is just the same; electrocution but the risk or

probability of a shock is or can be very much higher.

Are you going to go in there and change a lamp without taking the

proper precautions and how would you be dressed at the time?
Yes I would like to think someone would not change a lamp stark naked in a bathroom full of steam. The point that I was trying to make was just because a light fitting is 2.25m above ffl it does not mean that there is little risk of electrocution. In my opinion ip44 fittings should be used and that is what i would always recommend in a typically sized bathroom.

I would recommend IP44 as it would protect against water splashing in addition it would protect the internal parts of the lamp ie lamp holder from steam.

But why are you asserting that solid object ingress

protection be used when the requirement is IPX4?

Ok then i recommend any fitting with complies with IPx4 in that case but in all honesty I have not come across many fittings that are IP14, IP24 or IP 34? Can't say I have looked particularly hard recently but most bathroom fittings that I have seen/ fitted have been IP44.

all right stop nit picking you 2.

Think the home office skirt probably desribes shape of ladies attire rather than any Home Office Intervention, along the lines of big girls blouse etc etc

Thanks Binky. I was going to come back with a reply along the lines of why to many people on here feel the need to try and get one over the next person rather than just being helpful but then decided against it. Wouldn't want to upset anyone here again.

Adammid and Binky;  I have put in technical reports in the past and

they have been scrutinised by senior men before going out to the

customer.  No harm or nit-picking intended but I was put right every

now and again for how I chose my vocabulary. I made sure that in

the later work I did, they could find no fault in what I typed.  Not even

one smidgeon of misinterpretation of information available.

Adammid and Binky;  I have put in technical reports in the past and

they have been scrutinised by senior men before going out to the

customer.  No harm or nit-picking intended but I was put right every

now and again for how I chose my vocabulary. I made sure that in

the later work I did, they could find no fault in what I typed.  Not even

one smidgeon of misinterpretation of information available.
Noted Technician. I too have been subject to the odd constructive criticism and have too been guilty of doing the same myself in order to mitigate any misinterpretation. However I have to admit on here there does appear to be regular nick picking. Maybe its just me that thinks this but i do feel that too much time is spent on flowering up a response by certain individuals instead of just getting to the point and helping out the OP.

Adammid;  I DO take your point.   I have asked the

most outrageous questions in the past (not here!)

and had the answers I was looking for but...I was

able to ask them in a fashion that demanded the

answer was given in a similar manner, but...I was

speaking to people face to face.  When you do it

like this, a new set of rules is applied.

Still don't know why 2.25m rule applies. Steam rises, condenses on the lamp holder, light blows, forget to switch light off at switch, go get new lamp, climb up to batten lamp holder, replace lamp, while doing so touches damp lamp holder. ZAP!!
If you are going to apply that argument, WHY are we still using BC and ES lamp holders, just inviting fingers to touch live contacts?

I would have thought they would all have been outlawed years ago and replaced by something along the lines of a GU10 cap with the contacts completely shrouded when the lamp is removed.

But common sense does not apply. We are forced to do some things with safety in mind, yet allowed / encouraged to fit downright dangerous stuff still.  :C

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to apply that argument, WHY are we still using BC and ES lamp holders, just inviting fingers to touch live contacts?

I would have thought they would all have been outlawed years ago and replaced by something along the lines of a GU10 cap with the contacts completely shrouded when the lamp is removed.

But common sense does not apply. We are forced to do some things with safety in mind, yet allowed / encouraged to fit downright dangerous stuff still.  :C
Very true

and the fact there is nothing that can compete with the itchy stuff up in my nans loft me thinks we are not in 2013 afterall.