Is bathroom fan necessary?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone

Can someone confirm the following...

A bathroom fan is not required if the window opening is 1/10 or more of the bathroom floor area?

Thanks.

hi you may the answer in the electricians guide to the building regulations

starts on page 129 . i would have looked for you but i am on the way out.

hi you may the answer in the electricians guide to the building regulationsstarts on page 129 . i would have looked for you but i am on the way out.
I really need to buy this book, seems its invaluable.

I thought the opening window negated the need for the overrun, the fan was still required in all cases.

Might have to get the aforementioned book though for the collection.

SCOTTISH building regs require an extract fan in Bathrooms, Kitchens and Utility rooms. A room with just a WC only needs a fan if it doesn't have an opening window. There is no mention of an over run timer. A cooker hood qualifies as the extract fan in a kitchen as long as it vents outside and meets the required extract rate.

(English and Welsh building regs may vary)

You don't need to buy a book, all the building regs are available on line.

SCOTTISH building regs require an extract fan in Bathrooms, Kitchens and Utility rooms. A room with just a WC only needs a fan if it doesn't have an opening window. There is no mention of an over run timer. A cooker hood qualifies as the extract fan in a kitchen as long as it vents outside and meets the required extract rate.(English and Welsh building regs may vary)

You don't need to buy a book, all the building regs are available on line.
Same regs in England but thats for new builds so on existing does not apply although I think you should have them in bathroom/shower rooms and kitchens. I can never see the point in utility rooms as no one would ever use them.

Batty

Depends what you do in there. I've just done an extension with utility and they've got one of those clothes dryer affairs hanging from the ceiling (forget the name ATM). I know of a few activities that go on in utility rooms that would be useful to have a fan for.

I can never see the point in utility rooms as no one would ever use them.Batty
I quite agree.

When we built our new house 6 years ago, I omitted to fit the extract fan in the utility room.

Building cotrol picked up on that, and made me fit one before they would issue a completion certificate.

The fan has NEVER been turned on. I can't see the point in it.

I quite agree.When we built our new house 6 years ago, I omitted to fit the extract fan in the utility room.

Building cotrol picked up on that, and made me fit one before they would issue a completion certificate.

The fan has NEVER been turned on. I can't see the point in it.
I have had to go back to a few jobs were builder has not put them in which is a job when its all plastered. The most annoying one was on a job I had fitted extractor in cloakroom as I always do although it did have opening window but who wants to open that in the middle of winter anyway they had a room which was not a utility just a store really but the building inspector insisted they had to have a fan but he did say that there was no need in the cloak room so they would not pay me for putting the extra fan in. So these days I am very careful that I ensure extractors go in necessary rooms.

Happy New Year everyoneCan someone confirm the following...

A bathroom fan is not required if the window opening is 1/10 or more of the bathroom floor area?

Thanks.
Approved document F ventilation building regs was

rooms with opening windows

Utility room 30lts/sec

Bathroom 15lts/sec

Internal rooms with NO windows

as above + 15min overrun.

may have changed slightly but thats what it used to be?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Just found Appendix B of Approved Doc F: Purge ventilation

"For a hinged or pivot window that opens 30deg or more, or for sliding sash windows, the height x width of the opening part should be at least 1/20 of the floor area of the room". This can be used where security is not an issue.

Latest posts