Is It Me?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone remember what the letters actually meant?

in my mind O levels simply meant ORDINARY

and A was ADVANCED

but FF if I can try remember the CSE GCE ones,   ,,,,,,,,,     :C

Back in the old days of Dekington & co..

when GCE's & CSE's were separate exams..

the GCE's were graded  A,B,C,E etc...

and the CSE's were graded 1,2,3,4 etc...

if me old grey matters serves me right!
Yep, that's right. And I seem to remember that CSE Grade 1 was considered equivalent to a GCE Grade C by employers etc.

Yes GSE = General certificate of Education

CSE = Certificate of Secondary education.  Back in the day when you were allowed to label someone as not quite as bright as some others and give them a second class qualification.

Now we have to pretend everyone is clever and give them all the same qualification and they must all pass. We don't want to discriminate now do we?

Back in the day some cretinous maths teacher decided that I was thicker than a whale omelette and would not pass my O level maths. A suggestion was made that my parents paid for me to take the CSE. If I didn't get a maths ( to all our USA cousins it is MATHS not MATH....end of, morons ) I would be destined to a life of drudgery at the false tooth factory or be a Bin Man.

**** me...the hardest question was '. A table has a height of 1 ? '.....fill in the missing units. metres, kilograms, volts, inches, centimetres!

I ended up with a grade 1 for the Maths O level anyway....just did it to wind up the teacher who in those days was considered a wazzock or a prannock!

Just .......being edicated

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we have to pretend everyone is clever and give them all the same qualification and they must all pass. We don't want to discriminate now do we?

I think that THIS is where the whole lot might have gone T**S up.

Oh and I do know the meaning of the expression.  It was a

euphemism used by WW2 fighter pilots.