Is it possible to offset import at one site vs PV generation at another?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brix

Reaction score
I have two 3.8kW arrays installed 2011/12 on separate sites.
Both are receiving FIT payments of just over 60p/kWhr through E.ON.
Both receive 4.25p / kWhr on export, calculated as 50% of generation also from E.ON.
Both are attached to supplies for communal corridors with very low usage (certainly much less than 50% of generation).

I live at a third site nearby where it is not possible to fit solar PV (listed building, trees, etc)
Is there any way for me to benefit from the generation at the two solar sites by offsetting it against usage at my home and exporting the balance?
And/or increasing the export income?

I have two 3.8kW arrays installed 2011/12 on separate sites.
Both are receiving FIT payments of just over 60p/kWhr through E.ON.
Both receive 4.25p / kWhr on export, calculated as 50% of generation also from E.ON.
Both are attached to supplies for communal corridors with very low usage (certainly much less than 50% of generation).

I live at a third site nearby where it is not possible to fit solar PV (listed building, trees, etc)
Is there any way for me to benefit from the generation at the two solar sites by offsetting it against usage at my home and exporting the balance?
And/or increasing the export income?
Not that I know of, unless you can sell leccy to one of the flats, I am assuming it's communal area of flats.

Yes they are both small blocks of flats. Could I do that without connecting the array to the "buyer's" meter instead of the communal meter. I think I lose the FiT if I change the supply number it is connected to.

Yes they are both small blocks of flats. Could I do that without connecting the array to the "buyer's" meter instead of the communal meter. I think I lose the FiT if I change the supply number it is connected to.
Don't do anything to risk the FIT. You would have to wire a second feed to a.n.other flat, so effectively you would have a dual feed that is joined after their meter. A bit easier said than done, but you could agree to sell surplus leccy to the flat for a lower price than what they currently pay.

Of course they'd need to be on the same phase, and you'd need to measure power going the other way too (from flat to landlord.) Talk to the DNO/supplier too as I've wondered in the past about the regulations here....

More easy would be to move the flat/s on to the landlord supply. - this is from a presentation I did a while ago
micro.JPG